1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Need *everything* for the Z axis and extruder

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Dcbarry, May 29, 2018.

1. Dcbarry

Dcbarry New Member

This would be my first printer to own, and I’ve been reading up quite a bit in general getting familiar.

I obtained an R1+ for next to nothing, with one minuscule teeny issue— it has nothing for the z axis. Story i was told was that the original owner was going to upgrade to dual extruders, but never got around to it. Passed it on to 2nd owner, who had no time to work on it. Somewhere along the line, the original extruders, extruder stepper and all,the x axis hardware disappeared.

So, literally, there are the only the lead screw and the smooth on each side, bare naked. (The electrics and wiring and molexes all appear to all be there —- I spent quite a bit of time tracing cables to the controller to get a better understanding of how it works electrically). I’ve seen replacement guides for adding dual extruders, but the ones I saw assume you have the other parts.

So, I’m looking for what I need to buy, and what I can print, and hopefully some guidance. Assuming the controller and firmware are still stock, I’m probabbly best starting off as close to stock as possible, or using upgrades that don’t require Messing with the controller. Can I get her back to that point for $100?

Very greatful for all guidance and assistance.

D.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I dont see why you couldn't. $100.00 is a bit tight of a budget from what I'm reading, but very doable if you shop around. Can you upload some photos of your Z and X axis for me so I can get eyes of what your seeing? Most everything (literally all the plastic bits) for the R1 series is on thingiverse.

(there are many other versions, this one is by an old member here, I've used it on quite a few machines )

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:729956

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Sound like you need an X axis crossbar and then the rest you could print from here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:729956

Actually you might be able to print parts of the crossbar too, but all of the CAD files are in there. Our own Mike Kelly did that up years ago.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you need some parts printed for you ... figure out which ones and someone can give you a hand :)

Geof likes this.
  5. Dcbarry

Dcbarry New Member

Hmm... trying to post again. Cant get past the filter.

6. Dcbarry

Dcbarry New Member

Geof and Mark:

Thank you for jumping in!

Hope the photo is clear enough. Sorry for the busy background, took this picture yesterday. As you can see there is literally no X axis, and nothing but bare metal on the "Z". I don't have anything else held aside. I'll need to procure the right size rails, stepper, fan, extruder etc. Just not quite sure what those are / where to procure. I've seen a few sites like PrintedSolid , and of course robo3d store with some of the items, but not the rails (which I assume are pretty generic, I just need to know know "what" they are.

If it makes sense to spend "a little more" beyond stock to make "major" improvements, since I'm starting with nothing, I'm happy for advice in that arena.

I'm going to hook up the printer tonight with the software to verify that I can communicate with the board, and verify the x AND y steppers are functional and the bed heats, if the software will allow me do so directly.

Attached Files:

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Most of your missing bits are printable, the rods in the crossbar/X axis are normal 8mm smooth rods as well (extruder carriage mounts on with LM8UU bearings).

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Nice that the Z has the lead screws still. Will need to source some nuts for it, some 8mm smooth rod, bearings for Z and X, a motor for X then print a bunch of stuff. Not a bad find!

(oh and a couple micro switches and various screws and 2 springs lol)

Are you currently 3D Printing where you can make yourself your own parts? Or is this your first one?

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Might be worth considering swapping the threaded rods to leadscrews while you are at it. You already have to buy the new Z nuts and the machine is largely apart anyway :) Not needed, but not a lot of extra work at this stage.

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I dont see couplers, I assumed those were the leads???

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Right you are! So this is a stripped R1+ ... interesting :)

Geof likes this.
  12. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

You could find a used, working R1 model then use this one for spare parts or use the working one to print parts for this one.

13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

There is no need for that. If they cannot print their own parts, someone here can certainly do so for them. The machine is easily put back together.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yep, many have been there, done that :)
    Most of the parts are quick and easy to print and everything can be printed in PLA.

Geof likes this.
  15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

agreed. If I dig around in my yet to be unpacked boxes I probably have most all those parts lol. Not sure where! But they are 100% somewhere!

16. Dcbarry

Dcbarry New Member

Good news! After a bit of a scare thinking either the power supply or the controller was blown, turns out someone decided to rewire the AC inlet/switch (!?) and failed! But, corrected the miswiring (seriously, WTF?), fired up OS X, got MatterHacker plugged in, LEDs turned on, and I confirmed the 4 steppers were all functional. Hurrah! So now I know this is worth moving forward with.

If I have followed correctly, I'm going to need to beg, borrow or buy (can’t print):

X-Axis:

(2) Smooth Rods, 8mm dia, 304 mm length (wondering if that is nominal 300mm size, like lumber?)
    (2) Bearings (LM8UU) for smooth rods
    (2) limit switches (spec? )
    (1) Stepper (spec? NEMA: 18?)

Z-Axis
    (2) limit switches (spec SS-5GL ?)
    (2) Bearings (LM8UU) for smooth rods
    (2) “nuts” (spec ?)
    (2) Belt (spec) and closing parts(?)

Extruder / end

(1) Stepper (spec? )
    (1) Drive Gear (is this same as hobbled bolt?) (spec?)
    (?) springs (spec)
    (1 or 2?) Fan: (25x25x10 mm ) 12v/16a (ex: SNOWFAN YY4010H12S - from support photo)

Maybe: (??) : E3D Lite6 Budget Hot End kit (printed solid dot com) wiki.e3d-online.com/E3D-Lite-Assembly
    includes: Heater, nozzle, thermistor, fan, fan duct

As far as printable: Our local community college has 4 hours of public time each week to use their printer. While nice for fun stuff, probably not going to able to print my own parts.

I'm also thinking of writing a real "paper" letter to Robo CEO or PR department . I'm actually doing all this for my child's school. I imagine they get damaged returns that maybe i can get some salvage parts from.

#16 Dcbarry, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018
  17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The parts you need to buy can mostly all be had on Amazon, the printable parts obviously are easy :)

1) This is close you may have to cut them down a slight amount or find a place online that will custom cut to order (we can probably help you find one if you can't cut them):
    https://smile.amazon.com/Eowpower-Linear-Motion-8mm-Shaft/dp/B01MUPAYTR

2) https://smile.amazon.com/PerfecTech-Linear-Bearing-Bushing-Printer/dp/B01LXX22B0

3) https://smile.amazon.com/Cylewet-25Pcs-Switch-Arduino-CYT1073/dp/B073TYWX86

4) Nema 17 : https://smile.amazon.com/Stepper-Bipolar-4-lead-Connector-Printer/dp/B00PNEQKC0

There are other choices for many of these if you want to shop around

5) I think these are 8mm coarse thread, but someone with an R1+ can confirm. Maybe this:
    https://smile.amazon.com/16-18-Coupling-Stainless-Finish-Quantity/dp/B01FKW5HI2

@Geof confirmed the threading -- it is an 8mm nut (you don't need 25 either) :)

6) GT2 belt: https://smile.amazon.com/Mercurry-Meters-timing-Rostock-GT2-6mm/dp/B071K8HYB4

#17 mark tomlinson, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 31, 2018
  18. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

19. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

The problem with switching to lead screws or linear steppers (with integrated lead screws) is that unless you want to change firmware, recompile and reupload there are too many varieties out there. Robo chose a linear stepper for the PLUS model that is not particularly available everywhere. You can go coarser or finer but the exact one they used is harder to get.

20. Dcbarry

Dcbarry New Member

As I understand, the R1+ (which I have) is a lead screw device. Would a better picture clarify? The bed does say R1 Plus. I myself wouldn’t know the difference between the two.