1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Robo C2 Issues

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Boys & Girls Club, May 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boys & Girls Club

Boys & Girls Club New Member

Here is the key problem:
    We have 2 carts (which we purchased from Robo 3D) that the printers sit on where the PLA spools can be hung from above the printer. Last summer we had successful prints with the spools hanging from the back of the machines as well as from up above. The issue that we continue to have is that when the print job starts we provide enough slack on the spool as to not cause any drag or tension on the spool. If you don't sit there and keep the PLA loose on the spool, the PLA doesn't feed smoothly and will end in a failed print similar to the below photo. [​IMG]

I am turning to this forum since after sending our 2 Robo C2's in for repair we are still experiencing the exact same problems that we were before we sent them in. I am tired of the revolving door that is Robo support. They keep telling me to do the same thing and nothing that they recommend is working. We used these machines 4 times. Once at our grand opening, 2 open house events back when we first bought them and then last summer we attempted to print the Drone Kit that we purchased through them (which was also a failed project). Frustrated, we put them into our storage closet and didn't use them at all during the school year. When we started planning for our summer program (which is when we use them) we determined that they were still not printing correctly. Once I contacted support they threw about 10 potential fixes at me. Updating firmware, sent me a cable to replace, sent me a new mini-SD card, and many other potential fixes. All which didn't work. My only other option was to box them up and send them back. Which I did.

Has anyone else experienced either of these problems? Round and round with support or PLA that doesn't feed correctly? I only need a fix for the PLA issue...I am working on the other issue.

Thanks

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/bad-print-quality-air-print.20681/#post-127933

I will add:

I can't see this being firmware related at all

Not knowing which one I can't comment, but if it was the one from the control board up to the print head that would be a possible issue.

Nope, again not likely the problem.

Frankly unless you get tier-2 support you are usually wasting your time if it is an actual mechanical/electrical problem. The tier-1 folks are mostly just script-readers.

#2 mark tomlinson, May 31, 2018
    Last edited: May 31, 2018
  3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

So this is absolutely extrusion related. Either the extruder itself is falling down or the feed is jamming or you have bad filament. Really I think those are the most likely suspects. Start by checking the extruder calibration. See if it is off and if so by how much. Do the test and calculations Tom suggests in his video, post the numbers back:

Geof likes this.
  4. Boys & Girls Club

I would hope that they did this when I sent the machine back to them. At this point I only know how to print the pre-configured jobs that are on the machines internal hard drive. The only thing that I have used OctaPrint for is to update the firmware.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I would not think so. They almost certainly left the default firmware in place (which is by no means calibrated).

They like to talk about the printers being "plug-n-play" but ... no 3d Printer in this price range (or even close) is really plug-n-play :) They just are not. Granted, yours is definitely having some issues that need to be sorted out, but they are likely easy enough to squash problems. We can get you there.

Geof likes this.
  6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I think I'd start by trying to season the hotend and make sure the extruder gear (the part the lever you push to load and unload filament) is getting the filament pushed against it. The calibration seems pretty close on most C2s so I'd save that bit of learning for last (but certainly dont forget to do it!)

Jerry RoBo 3D and mark tomlinson like this.
  7. Boys & Girls Club

How can you get me there on a forum when sending the machines back to you (Robo) did nothing?

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I am not Robo, nobody you are getting postings from here is Robo :)
    This is a user forum, we are all printer owners and users just like you.

@Jerry RoBo 3D can perhaps help you escalate this to Robo HQ.

Just comparing the Robos we have used to the others out there... they are actually decent printers.

We can help walk you through things to try if you are willing. However you do deserve working HW and that will likely need to be addressed directly with Robo

9. Boys & Girls Club

Your signature shows "Staff Member" so I was assuming that you are employed by Robo.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Nope, volunteer staff only here.

Unless someone is tagged as a Robo3D employee you are talking to another printer owner :)

Geof likes this.
  11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Yep we are all just users that help keep the forum running smoothly by volunteering our time, but we enjoy helping other users to get their machines running or just chit chat :)

12. Jerry RoBo 3D

Jerry RoBo 3D Administrator
    Staff Member

@Boys & Girls Club I would like to chat on the phone if you have some time. You may have talked to teir 1 and teir 2 support. But I'm like teir 100. So I might have some suggestions teir 2 didn't. Geof suggestion of seasoning the hotend is a good one. Also, some simple trouble shooting could pinpoint the problem at least. Do you have time for a call? If so, what time is good for you?

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Geof likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.