1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Need *everything* for the Z axis and extruder

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Dcbarry, May 29, 2018.

1. Dcbarry

Dcbarry New Member

Do the exreuder and x axis use the same stepper on the stock unit? I noticed underneath that the y axis has a different notation from the z axis stepper

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, that was my bad for proposing that the leadscrews needed a look :) It already is an R1+ and all we need is to confirm the threading.
    If you can lay hands on an 8mm nut you can test it.

On most units the steppers are identical. They certainly are identical in terms of steps/mm even if they vary somewhat in size and the extruder chassis can support a stepper same size as the others.

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

R1+PLUS has lead screws, I think they are TR8*4 sized. I am not 100% on that one.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

So probably 8mm thread...

edit: @Geof was able to confirm that an 8mm nut threads on fine so there you go :)

#24 mark tomlinson, May 31, 2018
    Last edited: May 31, 2018
    Geof likes this.
  5. Dcbarry

Dcbarry New Member

Been distracted with another issue, ;-(, but still working through all this.... thanks to all for the advice to date!

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Okay there is a disconnect here, I looked over the picture posted (http://community.robo3d.com/index.p...or-the-z-axis-and-extruder.21247/#post-127872) very carefully and it is a PLUS and the PLUS never had anything but Linear Steppers (unless replaced by the enduser). There is no way an 8 mm nut will fit on trapezoidal thread linear stepper shafts. Yes it is 8 mm, but it needs to match the pitch. I believe that Robo by default used TR8*4 linear steppers, at the time the PLUS was released they were nearly impossible to find because of the pitch. Pretty much now you can get about anything in a NEMA 17 Linear Stepper. So the "nut" he needs is something like this.
    [​IMG]

Just a quick look on Amazon and it is still damn hard to find TR8*4 anything.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Banggood has them in nylon
    b8d7be6a-44d1-4bf2-a771-d4dd60cbb459.jpg
    Click on image to go to item.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Cool. Not having an actual R1+ to compare to I can't judge, thanks!

9. Dcbarry

Dcbarry New Member

HI, just wanted to provide an update....

I got a quote for roughly $190 for 'nearly' all the parts from ROBO direct. Ouch. $60 of that is the stock nozzle. I'm waiting to hear back from them on seeing if anything could be done to adjust that cost. They pointed out refurb is avail for $399, but that's not a route I can go down.

I also have a 3rd party seller I'm trying to negotiate with. If those fail, I may take you all up on getting some help.

Meanwhile, I (ironically) was loaned a working R1 (non-plus), so I decided to try printing a few parts. After some initial problems, I was able to print some small parts, but twice failed spectacularly on the the larger parts. I'll post those failures in a more appropriate forum for anyone who cares to analyze.

Thanks! d.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you have a working printer then everything plastic is totally printable. Only the metal parts (and wires/electronics) are not :)
    Point in fact I have at some point printed everything except the case itself. They all worked.

11. Dcbarry

Dcbarry New Member

Update..... I'm actively printing pieces. This is a great community.

two questions for today...

1) I can't identify this piece in Mike Ks famous thingiverse posting. I assume it was revised specifically for the r1+. Is there an STL for this? I didn't see one on thingiverse, although I may have missed it easily.

(Also its left side equivalent, if it is different.)

2) Unclear in the earlier posts discussion, maybe it was my confusion, but this brass golden part is NOT for an r1+, is it? I am not seeing it in the actual R1+ I had a chance to examine. Just clarifying.

Thankyou!

Attached Files:

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The brass nut is not a Robo part at all.
    I can't quite tell what part you are holding on to there...
    Is it part of the mount the Z axis switch uses? Can you get a better picture?

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

14. Dcbarry

Dcbarry New Member

It appears to be revised version of the piece the z limit switches attach to (left and right). It appears to be a molded piece, not printed. The printer its in has a Stepper motor with a lot date of 201709, so I assume its a late revision, or something the added to refurbs?

right side:
    http://download.robo3d.com/videos/LeftSide_Z_EndstopBracket.mp4

left side:
    http://download.robo3d.com/videos/LeftSide_Z_EndstopBracket.mp4

from page:

https://help.robo3d.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000724052-Z-Axis-endstop-fix

I'll double check thingiverse. it not, i'll ask if ROBO if there is an STL for the part.

15. Dcbarry

Dcbarry New Member

The brass colored piece is in a post by where's waldo about 6 posts up the chain.... sorry not sure how to do a link back, I'll quote it below.

16. Dcbarry

Dcbarry New Member

Im confused too... Waldo are you saying this is an R1+ piece? I'm not seeing it on the R1+ in front of me, which is supposedly stock. from what I could se it just has couple nuts. I think I'm misunderstanding you possibly?

The extruder stepper on this has a 201709 date -- so looks like its a late edition of the R1+.

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

#37 mark tomlinson, Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  18. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

The brass piece was an example of the nut, not a Robo part. It was used to illustrate that the threads are trapazoidal and not simply an 8 mm nut.