1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Does Anyone Want a Custom Glass Bed?

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by adikted2astro, May 7, 2018.

1. adikted2astro

adikted2astro Active Member

So I love printing on glass and I have a 9" x 9" x 1/8" sheet attached right now. However, I had to paste a piece of PEI (thick) on the bed underneath the glass because the only contact points otherwise would be the lip on the edges of the bed.

I decided to get a custom glass sheet made for the bed. One that would sit inside that lip perfectly and would maximize contact with the bed. It is slightly less than 9" x 9", and it has rounded corners. I am placing the order today, so it will take a couple of weeks to get the bed in. But, I had to buy 5 of them ($150 lot charge for 5). The rounded corners are going to cost extra; maybe $75 total. So, I will be paying about $45 per sheet. It is expensive, yes, but it is custom cut borosilicate glass, 3 mm thick. I want to keep three of the sheets for myself, but I don't really need the other two. Would anyone like to buy them? I will charge only what they cost and I'll pay for half the shipping. Like I said, they are expensive. So I will understand if nobody wants them. But, hit me up if you would like one (or both) of them.

Update: It's actually going to be $40 for the sheet.

Attached Files:

#1 adikted2astro, May 7, 2018
    Last edited: May 7, 2018
  2. bill Snyder

bill Snyder Member

Now that I'm sure you have received and installed, what do you think? And just as important do you have any left?

3. adikted2astro

Actually, I don't have them yet. It'll be at least another week.

4. bill Snyder

bill Snyder Member

Let me know I may be interested. Thanks, Bill

5. adikted2astro

Cool. Once I get the beds, I'll install one, take a few pictures, and post them here for you to check out.

6. bill Snyder

bill Snyder Member

thanks, I also like printing on glass

7. Zack Freeman

Zack Freeman New Member

Sorry addicted to astro. I didnt see your post as i accidentally posted mine in the R1 section.

8. adikted2astro

Bill (and anyone else interested),

I have finally received tracking information from the custom glass place. The sheets will be delivered tomorrow. Unfortunately my printer is not at home, it's in my office at school and I live 30 miles away. So the earliest I can send you pics would be Saturday. That's if I decide to come in this weekend, which I probably will. I've been excited about these sheets for a long time and I've been waiting weeks for them to arrive so I'd like to see how they fit asap. I'll post pics here when I get them.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. adikted2astro

Update: Apparently FedEx is delayed by a day, which actually means 3 days since it is the weekends. I won't be getting those glass beds until Monday................sorry.

10. bill Snyder

bill Snyder Member

no problem, I still have 2 sheets of of buildtek to use. Thanks for the update.

11. adikted2astro

Ok I’ve got the sheets. They look amazing and are made exactly the way I wanted. They are 8.9375” x 8.9375” with 1/2” rounds on each corner. I’ll upload pics tomorrow. However, I won’t be able to place them on a bed until tomorrow afternoon or Wednesday morning. I’m in the middle of a 2 day print right now but I have another V2 bed delivering tomorrow. Once that gets here, I’ll put a glass sheet on it and make sure it’s good to go. I don’t see any problems though; it should fit perfectly.

12. adikted2astro

I forgot that I still have my V1 bed. I placed one of the borosilicate sheets on a piece of Robo Buildtak and one on top off the V1 bed to see if they fit, which they do! However, what I thought was a 1/2" round on the corners is slightly smaller. It's between 3/8" and 1/2"; not sure exactly. You can see in the pictures that the corners of the Buildtak sheet are different from the glass bed, but not by much. These sheets will work beautifully in the V2 beds. None of the glass edges will overlap the outside edges of the V2 (or V1 for that matter). As I wrote yesterday, the dimensions are 8.9375" x 8.9375" and the glass thickness is 3.3 mm (0.130").

Once I get my new V2 bed I'll install one of these sheets and post more pics.
    IMG_0787.JPG IMG_0788.JPG IMG_0790.JPG IMG_0789.JPG

13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

how do you plan to attach?

14. adikted2astro

I'm just going to use painter's tape on the edges like I do now. I guess I could also get some 3M adhesive sheets and do it that way but I'm partial to the painters tape. It's easily applied and removed and it holds the glass sheet on very well. I have a 9" x 9" sheet attached right now to my V2 bed and I've never had problems with it this way. The 3M adhesive sheets would work but only if they were applied PERFECTLY. I doubt the glass could be removed if I used that adhesive.

IMG_0792.jpg

15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

interesting. thanks!

16. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

hammer?

:)

Geof likes this.
  17. bill Snyder

bill Snyder Member

looks good. Let me know how you want me to send the money. Paypal?

18. adikted2astro

Got my 2nd V2 bed last night but just like my luck, the new bed does NOT have a lip around the edge. That's ok, my current V2 does, so the sheets will work well with both. Here's some pics on the new V2 bed.

IMG_0793.jpg IMG_0794.jpg IMG_0795.jpg

19. bill Snyder

bill Snyder Member

mine doesn't have much of a lip but some. The glass fit is the most important thing. Well done on the measuring and order. Let me know how to proceed. Ill take both the ones you want to sell. Paypal works for me if it does for you. Bill

20. nytcrawlr

nytcrawlr New Member

Hey adikted, I'd be interested in buying one off you if still available - let me know.