1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Problems Printing Certain Models

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by JustinDS89, Jun 12, 2018.

1. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Hello all!

Ever since I've owned an R2 I have had certain models give me issues where it clogs the nozzle and I have to clear the filament/clog before it will print again. It will do it on the same model over and over in slightly different spots. Most models print perfect though.

The models I'm talking about print perfectly fine for others it seems.

I thought it was retraction pulling the melted filament too high up into the hotend, but I have lowered this all the way to 0.5 and it still does it.

Any ideas? I posted two of the STL's in question that I was printing at the same time.

Thanks,
    Justin

Attached Files:

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

at a guess the supports are messing with you (because they would be needed). Try printing the legs first. if it succeeds, try the snap hips at half speed.

JustinDS89 likes this.
  3. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Ah okay, I never thought about it being an issue with supports. So I am assuming if that is the case than printing with a slower speed may help with that issue? When I use supports I always just print at standard speed of 60- 80 mm/s depending on what I'm printing. In this case it was 60 mm/s.

Geof likes this.
  4. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

I will try printing just the legs tonight and see if it works.

Geof likes this.
  5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

very possible. May want to enable a z lift if you have that option. Not sure what slicer you use? Gotta remember you have 3 small models there, even though its two files. Dropping speed and utilizing a small amount of z lift so when it moves it doesn't smack the other piece can certainly help. Without watching it print its all a guess (or seeing the fails) but its a good guess I think :D

6. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

I have enabled z lift during retraction a little bit. I am using Simplify3D though, but have had this problem in
    Cura in the past I believe (not certain).

I haven't been able to actually see when it starts failing. I just check in on it and see it hovering above the print and chewing through the filament. Like it I said it's not at exactly the same point every time, but it does it on the same model every time.

Thanks for the help as always Geof!

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

no worries. Give it a shot and let us know what you find!

8. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Tried it again and failed shortly into the print.

I did try this at 50% my normal speed and can confirm I can print other items.

I posted a picture. This is starting to become a pain and would love to fix it instead of just ditching the model like I've done before lol.

Thanks again man!

Attached Files:

9. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Now it is failing on other models, looks like I have a partial clog. I will clear that and try again, but that still doesn't explain the repeated fails on certain models.

Thought about slicing in another program like Cura and see what happens.

10. drbanks

drbanks Active Member

A while ago, I was seeing models that had formerly printed fine suddenly come up with delamination, stringing and all sorts of other "just looks wrong" failures.

I decided it was time to replace the nozzle. That put things back to right. This was particularly after I'd had a few bed crashes in the self-leveling routine and had noticed that when extruding into thin air, the filament was coming out in loops rather than strings.

Easy/cheap thing to try if you have the spares laying around.

JustinDS89 likes this.
  11. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Well it appears my problem is a bit different than I thought.

It now happens to all models and I did swap out the tip.

It repeatedly clogs and I have to take apart the hotend and clean it out.

I wonder, could this be the filament as I have been using the same filament through all these prints?

12. drbanks

drbanks Active Member

That'd be my next guess. From the layer separation in a previous picture, made me wonder if you're trying to print ABS.

JustinDS89 likes this.
  13. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Nope, this is PLA.

I will swap to a known good roll and test that out as I am out of ideas considering I can get everything cleaned up great and it happens again and again every time.

14. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Then if it continues to happen season the nozzle and see. A bit harder to do on the C2/R2, but not real difficult.

JustinDS89 likes this.
  15. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Okay, that is something I have not ever done. I can try it though.

16. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@JustinDS89 This is how I do it, get some peanut oil from your local Asian market, a small bottle is relatively cheap. Put a few drops in an unmounted nozzle, then I use a small torch like this one, https://www.harborfreight.com/butane-micro-torch-63170.html. heat the outside of the nozzle until the few drops of oil start smoking, allow it to cool then hit it one more time. Done!

I buy nozzles a dozen or so at a time, season them all at once then store the rest until needed. I use this model https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2888129 and an empty altoids tin to store the nozzles.

Use the rest of your small bottle of peanut oil to season cookware. If you have any cast iron skillets peanut oil works much better to season than canola or vegetable oil as it has 100° to 150° higher flash point. It will make those pans as non-stick as any coating and not have any harsh chemicals like Teflon coatings and is basically scratch resistant. The only thing you shouldn't do is wash with soap or in a dishwasher, unless you want to re-season your pans again.

mark tomlinson and JustinDS89 like this.
  17. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Awesome! Thanks for the tips!

I wasn't really sure how to go about doing that, but that cleared things up.

Nice holder, I may have to find me an altoids tin haha as all my nozzles are just in a plastic bag.

18. drbanks

drbanks Active Member

I would have never thought to season a nozzle like you'd season a skillet, but I see the sense in it. Thanks for the pointers from a voyeur.

19. drbanks

drbanks Active Member

JustinDS89 likes this.
  20. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

I think I may of found the root of the problem...old filament. It is a few years old and been out in the open for that whole time.

I have a print going now with new filament that looks great so far.

In the past when I had the same problem I was using old filament from two years ago too.

Would that cause this problem from being waterlogged?