1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Trouble Printing Large Flat Side Objects

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by JustinDS89, Jun 18, 2018.

1. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Hopefully this makes sense. I can post a picture tonight as it should be done printing.

When printing something like a large box that takes up the majority of the the bed the right most wall comes out very rough and textured along the Y axis. The Left side looks perfectly fine and smaller boxes look fine.

Is there a limit to how far over you can go on the bed or something else odd happening? I have no clue what could cause this.

I am posting one of the models in question that will cause this.

Thanks again all!

Attached Files:

2. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

I should post settings...

PLA
    200C
    60-80mm/s (Same results)

3. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

I noticed my print is 188 mm in length centered on the X axis and towards the front of the bed. This is a hair under the max size listed on Robo's website at 197 mm on the specs.

Is that truly the max? Or is it realistically less than that?

The last time I had this problem the print was 194.455 mm in length.

#3 JustinDS89, Jun 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Max is whatever it will actually travel to and may be slightly more than stated.
    Effective MAX for some folks ends up being the size of the heater :)
    Really depends on what you are doing. I'd imagine for PLA that the bed heater is moot (or should be).

@Geof
    @WheresWaldo

since I don't have an R2 to examine.

5. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Looks like it actually can't print over as far as I had it and that was causing the issues.

I wonder if the bed is quite a bit bigger than actual build volume. I will have to measure and compare to the listed specs.

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The bed is quite likely bigger than the build area. It was on the R1 series too.

7. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Max is 197-198 mm depending on the precise placement of the pulleys. You cannot go physically bigger. Because of the cantilever design you will get some vibration on the bed when printing. Some times slowing down the print speed can help, without a picture of the anomaly it is a bit harder to diagnose.

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Yep!
    I think mine was 196mm when we were measuring, cant recall. But yes if you arnt perfectly centered and print big, you could hit max travel and the one side will look...very harsh. Picture :D

9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

You also need to make sure your slicer thinks the build area is 196-198 mm or else center isn't really center.

Geof likes this.
  10. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

I will check my slicers build area as when it is "centered it doesn't work and I have to manually move it over a hair to the left so it won't go over too far on the right if that makes sense.

I will post a picture just to show what I was referring to, but that was the problem.

Thanks as always guys!

11. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

The one side did indeed look very harsh haha. I should of noticed sooner that it was maxing out.

12. drbanks

drbanks Active Member

Re: telling the slicer of the smaller volume: I should have thought of that.

Functionally, I make sure nothing goes over 193, but I've still had occasional issues, possibly because it isn't centered due to the slicer being set to 203.

13. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Yeah, I think some of my stuff I've printed is right at the limit to the max size and the fact it is slightly uncentered isn't generally a problem, but in a few cases it has caused trouble.

14. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@drbanks When you have only 196-197 mm and you set it to 203 you will have issues with big prints. Zero is still zero because of the limit switches, but now the slicer thinks it is 203 so 6 - 7 mm larger than reality, so when the slicer centers model, as all are wont to do, you have moved the center 3 - 3.5 mm to the right and also the same forward (since the endstop on Y is Y maximum).

Geof likes this.
  15. drbanks

drbanks Active Member

To be fair, I didn't set it that way; it's the default R2 profile from S3D. I have simply failed to fix it.

Geof likes this.
  16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That would do it.
    Robo advertises the build size larger than physically possible. I'm sure S3D took that marketing info and plugged it in lol.

17. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

I will have to check S3D, but in Cura it was set to 220 x 220 x 254. Not sure if the Z height is right or not. Any clue on that?

As for the X and Y I adjusted it down to 197 mm.

18. drbanks

drbanks Active Member

Boy, and was I ever upset when I figured that out. Hours of printing before it reached the 200mm point, then loud unpleasant noise and big layer shift. I thought my printer was broken at first until I determined that the layer shift happened at the same point where all the right hand details on the model went flat.

19. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Z height is about 260 maximum, I would leave 254 in there.

20. drbanks

drbanks Active Member

254 is a rounder number.