1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Adopt-A-Bot community school program

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by danzca6, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I still vote the Startt by imakr is a much better "get em started" kit than the adoptabot. I am about to pull out of the what seems dead adoptabot initiative. Not seeing it going anywhere and getting busy.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, I have not seen anything happening and abandoned the group (they never did actually send me a printer anyway). There are as you mentioned better choices.

Geof likes this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

You or Danz can have my adoptabot kit :D lol. I think I got it when they were 40 or 50 bucks lol. I'll let you guys figure out who wants it :D

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

At this point I am over it, but thanks :)
    There is no active community that I can see so you might as well just do this on your own and their "kit" is not really stellar.

(my comment elsewhere about "ideas" and "execution" certainly applies) :)

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Totally agree.

6. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Brook talked about the adoptabot on his stream a bit yesterday, but it really is dying in support from what I see as well. I think there might be an ADD issue with Printrbot. I agree with Geof that I would much rather buy the STARTT and build that for a school now that this adoptabot kit is $100. No where near worth it. The parts at $40 was "ok", but all refurbished and spares. I got the old old hotened that they no longer sell anything for. Sucks! The coupler for the Z was out of spec. I've ordered a new one (that has 4 grub screws) and need to machine it down to fit or redesign the Y/Z brackets so it fits. Also need to shave the Z screw to flatten two sides to make it hold better in the coupler. Discouraging really when the traction has been lost from the Printrbot side. I still want to complete it though.

Geof if you don't want to use those parts for something else, I'll take them. Hoping you have the newer hotend in there. That alone would cost me $60.

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Danz-
    Plan a visit buddy! Will pack it up for you.

8. huh77

huh77 New Member

looks interesting. thanks for info

9. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the whole project this thread is about is dead at this point.

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

agreed. Dont believe it is a supported thing anymore. The machine I build to donate was .... not worth the headache for any EDU institution. I ended up donating a different machine to them and scrapped this version for parts.

11. daniel871

I never actually got around to building my kit after reading how badly it went for you and whoever else was going it around here (also the contact at the local school said they weren't that interested in it because they didn't believe the technology was reliable/safe enough at the sub-commercial price points).

Parts are still in the box waiting for a printed frame. Maybe I'll design up something myself and make my own Franken-printer.

WheresWaldo and Geof like this.
  12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

This sort of thing needs more than "here's a cheap collection of printer parts and a basic how-to assemble" in order to get schools excited. You need a curriculum that a teacher could use to actually plan something for. Even approaching schools with an assembled 3D printer was not something that attracted much attention (more at private schools than public, but still not a lot).

WheresWaldo and Geof like this.
  13. daniel871

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Long live Printerbot ;)

15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Its not suprising and very sad. There will be more companies from that era (timeframe?) I'm sure going out as well. Type A, Printerbot, that new matter company. I'm guessing mostly US companies