1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Clearing a deep throat hot-end jam

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by drbanks, Jun 26, 2018.

1. drbanks

drbanks Active Member

Was switching filaments from PLA to nGen, with the extruder set on 240 degrees, and ended up with a pretty hard extruder jam. Mebbe I should have tried a lower temp. I don't know. Assuming my bad.

Fortunately, I just happen to have a spare hot end laying around. Unfortunately, my geriatric shaky hands and poor eyesight are making getting the heater and thermistor plugs connected sort of difficult, but hey, it doesn't involve any screwdrivers, does it?

Before removing the old hot end, I removed the nozzle, and it looks clear. From probing with acupuncture needles, seems like it's around or just above the heat break.

Is there any tried and true way to clear these? I mean, yeah, I can keep working with the new hot end, but I'd kind of like to resurrect the old one if I can. You know, to bail me out the next time I do something else stupid.

Any other constructive suggestions welcome, even if I react to them in a way that reflects my cranky temperament.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Since the hexagon hot end is 100% metal, you can remove it from the printer and then heat the heatbreak and bottom of the heatsink with a small butane/propane torch to melt out all the plastic.

MChrisP1 and Geof like this.
  3. drbanks

drbanks Active Member

Good idea; thanks.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Just be careful. A brass nozzle can't stand the full heat of some propane torches so keep the heat on the right spots or you will need a new nozzle :) "Small" is the key word on that sentence about the torch ;)

MChrisP1 likes this.
  5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Funny since after we sacrificed one nozzle to Helios we bought that exact one at Harbor Freight as well .. (go figure)

7. drbanks

drbanks Active Member

The nozzle's already been removed from the hot end and it's a hardened steel nozzle anyway, but thanks for the warning, because it's not the sort of thing I would have thought of on my own.

8. drbanks

drbanks Active Member

And not in a huge hurry because:

A) I have a new spare, presumably working, so I can take my time refurbishing this one
    B) I have an i3 running as my backup printer (in general, I trust the R2 to run unattended, whereas the i3 needs to be watched like a hawk)
    C) Me touching hand tools is the start of a really bad day

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That would require ... effort ;)

10. Larry Garrido

Larry Garrido Member

just use one of these, should only take a second or two.

[​IMG]

drbanks and mark tomlinson like this.