1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

New Printer Coming- 2 weeks

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Geof, Jul 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Saving a place here so I dont forget to update with photos! I bought a new printer this week (arriving in 2 weeks) from a somewhat new company/small company out of Chicago Il (a few hours from me- cant not buy it right!) I have their shorter 305x305x305 machine coming. They are actually going to bring it to me which is super cool since I'm so close to them! Let me know what you guys think and I'll let you know what I think when it arrives!

https://www.projectr3d.com/products/d1700

bill Snyder likes this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Your herd is growing ;)

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

lol Nah I got rid of a bunch during the move ;) Plenty of room :D Changing things up to larger format.

4. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Looks like it has a dual Z axis drive. I wonder if there is the possibility of the motors getting out of sync causing binding or slanted build platform.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I imagine that like the RAMPS the Z drive can be common. Sure, Robo uses dual Z drivers on the R1+ (which is both not needed and a bit silly) but many boards do not.

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

It’s certainly a good question! I wouldn’t think so but it is possible! I never experienced it with my R1+ but something to keep an eye out for !

7. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

I'd be interested in knowing just how much of that printer is built entirely of off-the-shelf parts, but not enough to buy/build one myself.

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

At a guess- All of it can be purchased and made to work for the design. They are open source, you can request the files and dig through if you'd like.

daniel871 likes this.
  9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Looks like they have their github working and some information on there, would likely have to ask for any additional you'd want. https://github.com/Project-R3D

bill Snyder likes this.
  10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Update that was sent. My frame is built. Not sure if everyone wants a play by play but ur gettin one :) IMG_20180707_150231.jpg

11. ProR3D_Joe

ProR3D_Joe New Member

Hey everyone, Im the founder and Lead Nerd for Project R3D.

@tkoco We use the Duet Wifi as our control board which has two outputs on the Z stepper driver. This does assist with keeping the steppers in sync but it is not a silver bullet. We have built the frame for the bed rock solid and we use double length 12mm flanged bearings which all work together to make this situation much less likely to happen. We also have IR bed tramming to compensate for any skewing. If you have any suggestions that you think will improve our design please let us know, we really appreciate it!

@daniel871 All of our parts can be bought off the shelf or special ordered. We feel proprietary components in no way help the end user. Hotend, control boards and power supplies can easily be found but there are some harder to source components that we are happy to assist people in finding. We build the units to easily be modified to fit the specific needs of the user if needed so our unique parts can be found on our github and printed. We would suggest either CF PETG or parts that are not near high temp parts and CF Nylon or Polycarb for parts that are. These are the materials that we currently use. During the design process we were fully aware that some people wouldnt want to buy a unit but build one of their own, so we kept that in mind. If anyone feels the need to build their own let us know we will help you with the process. If you have any suggestions on what we could improve please let us know, all feedback is appreciated.

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

update! @ProR3D_Joe brought it to me yesterday (@danzca6 was able to make the trip to visit as well!). Got it in the bar ( until I move stuff around in the print room) So far first impressions are quite good. Machine is darn near silent. Glad I had Joe there to do the Duet setup with me, looks complicated! Lots to learn! More to come! If you want pictures of anything in particular let me know and I'll do my best to add them.
    ProR3D.jpg

bill Snyder likes this.
  13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

So I've had for a couple days and been tuning my material profiles like I do on all machines. So far I really like the machine. One issue that may just be me personally is with how silent the machine is the meanwell powersupply fan is a bit to loud when it comes on for my liking. Will look into an alternative. This may just be because the machine is quiet with the silent stepsticks/duet and all that jazz but yea!
    a 2nd thing- the spool holder is for large bore spools- they supplied a .step file for the spool holder so I'll modify for some tiny hole spools I've got laying around.

Using the duet touch controller is quite nice, the web dashboard is there and gives full control but I'd still really like to have seen an SD reader of some kind. Thats just me being "old school" lol. I have not had a single connection issue in both the garage where its pictured and in the print room I moved it to Monday.

Hoping to be done tuning soon and will post photos of some prints and the such! Any questions fire away

14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

So ended up having mechanical issues. The company took the machine back with them to investigate and repair under warranty and for the issues I'm being upgraded to an unreleased "advanced model" will update when the machine comes home.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

So I have had the machine back from repair/upgrade. It is now a completely different machine (have had for a few weeks now) and will close this thread as its to far from what it was when I started it. When they release officially the version machine I now have I can start a new thread if there is interest in that sort of thing.

bill Snyder and mark tomlinson like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.