1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partial Answer Extruding Issue I guess?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Andrew Kershaw, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Andrew Kershaw

Andrew Kershaw New Member

So on my R1 Plus it starts to create a skirt and then after a raft but soon after it starts to go weird by spooing my raptor PLA out. But I think that is normal right? So it can separate easier from the raft? But after maybe one or two layers it stops extruding and doesn't push anything out. So I stop the print and take the PLA out and find it bent and smashed. Is there a way to fix this because I can start a print but I can't even get past the first couple of layers. Multiple times I have taken the PLA out and cut it off were the bending stops and insert it back in. Then the whole process repeats itself. Is there a way to fix this?

I am using the right temperatures for both bed and extruded. Also, it has started prints fine but never higher than a couple of layers every print.

2. Reece Markowsky

Reece Markowsky New Member

Is this occurring on all models, different PLA spools too? I.e have you eliminated most other possibilities?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Andrew Kershaw

It looks like to me that it can print the calibration box just fine but with anything else, it cramps up or something were the pla just doesn't come out

4. Andrew Kershaw

It looks like it more sheards up the pla maybe because of retraction or something because everything I print and it fails from the PLA inside being crinkled up and like shredded from the gear inside. Any suggestions on that?

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

What are your slicer settings?

6. Andrew Kershaw

I don't know how to find that but my Layer Height is 0.1mm, with infill density with .25, also I was using Matter controls slicer what one should I use?

7. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

Which brand of PLA are you using? What is the temperature? Some PLA filaments require a hotter setting than others. It might not be melting correctly at the temperature that it's set on.

8. Andrew Kershaw

I'm using Raptor PLA which askes 245 C and a bed of 0-60 C so I keep my extrude at 245 and I keep my bed at 55. I know the temp isn't the issue cause it will print off the calibration cube just fine and the first couple layers of any print but after a couple of mins maybe 30 or maybe 10 it just stops extruding. So I stop printing pull it out and find the PLA has been shred. I clean out the entire thing so it can grip the material and everything but as soon as I print anything outside of the cube it screws up.

9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

A couple of things, 245°C is pretty hot for PLA, that is usually PETG range of temps. 0.10 layer height needs a finely tuned printer profile and everything working and calibrated more precisely. DO you have issues if you print the same model at 0.20 mm layers?

Geof likes this.
  10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

wicked hot. I've not had a printer that needs to print anywhere near that with PLA.

11. BrooklynBay

Does the label on the roll specify these temperatures? Reduce the temperature to 235* C, then test it again.

12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd be careful suggesting a specific temperature to drop to. Would be more beneficial to conduct a temperature tower of some sorts as then you'd know the best temperature for the specific machine/enviroment/etc.

13. BrooklynBay

So far I've been using a 235/80 heat range on several different brands of PLA filament, and it works on my R1. Filament was getting clogged in my extruder when I lowered the temperature. Increasing the temperature caused the filament to get stringy & curly with air pockets in the prints, and blobs of unwanted filament where it shouldn't be. I understand that every machine & filament behaves differently, so this heat range is what works in my R1.

14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

honestly if thats what is working something is very wrong with your machine. The 80 heatbed more so than the temperature. Your PLA should be warping like mad at 80C. I'd be double checking your temp sensors settings in the firmware and physically on the machine. Something is very not right sounding.

15. BrooklynBay

I don't have the original hexagon extruder. I have an E3D clone with a screw in thermistor. I didn't change anything in the firmware since the screw in thermistor should be a direct replacement. The machine originally came with the small glass thermistor which was connected with a rubber band around the hotend. Then I installed a later model hexagon with a metal barrel style thermistor until I upgraded to the screw in E3D thermistor. All of these thermistors should be the compatible with this machine. The glass bed & thermistor are original. What's the heat range that everybody else uses?

16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

the physical appearance of a thermistor matters not. it can be any of the thermistor types with that appearance. You must know and change accordingly in the firmware to have accurate temperature. The heatbed should be fine unless you changed it then or unless the thermistor is falling away from the heater (bad thing).

PLA will typically warp at 80C because to much heat causes such things. Its very odd that you are not seeing that.

On most machines my range is between 175 and 200C. Almost never more. I rarely if ever go above 50C on the heatbed. PLA doesn't need a heated surface, it just helps things to stick.

17. Andrew Kershaw

Yes, I do have the same issue at .2mm layer height. And that's what I thought bt the spool says 1.75mm and nozzle temp=245C and bed from 0-60C

18. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Try printing a Temp tower of a very small model at different temperatures. PLA does not like to be printed too hot, so I would say try printing something like deprime https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:66175 in increments of 5° C less than you are now. At some point around 200°C you will likely find that it prints pretty good. Also with a pristine bed with just some cheap hairspray on it you should be able to print with a bed nearer to 45°C than 60°C.

It is all about trial and error, we have all gone through this and there are no shortcuts. You will waste a lot of filament before you get so good, you can just smell the filament and know what settings will work, at least that is what @Geof tells me.

Geof likes this.
  19. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

20. Andrew Kershaw

Yes, I have tried most of these options and found that 265C and a bed temp of 50C to work but now I got that working it's now being really weird. I woke and tried printing some stands for a spool but I started to print it only was extruding on one side of the bed when it was laying out the skirt and then after it started the raft and just didn't print it. You could barely make out like a thin layer on the bed. So I would stop it and then click the extrude button and nothing would happen so I pulled the pla out and unclog it and it extruded fine no matter how much I did it never clogged once until I started the print of it again. Then I would repeat the process and I switched to the calibration cube and it was able to print that fine with no hiccups. I'm so confused