1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Anyone tried Octolapse with the R1/R1+?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Avrution, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Avrution

Avrution Member

I've had this installed since it was released, but have yet to try.

Anyone have experience with it and if so, what settings did you end up using to get a smooth video and what kind of time increase did you end with?

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

You may be on your own on this one. Why not try it and then do a post on what does and doesn't work?

Geof likes this.
  3. Avrution

Avrution Member

Would love to, but recently had surgery and printer is upstairs - just recently using stairs after a month and trial and error time will have to wait. Will definitely see how it works, but wanted to check in first.

4. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

I've used it, but not with any Robo-brand printer.

I ended up disabling it because I didn't like the unnecessary movements it introduced when using any of the options to take pictures at a fixed extruder position.

Basically, what would happen when using those options is this:

Normal printing Gcode for a layer processes > Octolapse injects a Gcode movement to move the print head to a given location > Webcam takes picture > Octolapse injects Gcode movement to bring head back to position for the next layer > Normal printing Gcode resumes > Repeat.

I didn't like this because I was testing it with a PETG print, which produced a lot of extra stringing on the model I was printing because the normal retraction settings for close layer change movements don't apply when there is a 2-7 second interruption every time the timelapse wants to take a picture with the given settings (the traverse settings during the picture-taking movements were much slower than the slicer-settings for non-printing movements).

I imagine it would work just fine with a PLA filament or if you really have your print settings dialed in for clean prints, but expect it to add a lot of time to the overall print time when using it.

Geof and Avrution like this.
  5. Avrution

Avrution Member

Thanks for the input, I was kind of afraid of how it might affect prints with the extra movements and pauses it introduces. I do normally print PLA and will at least attempt a few once I'm able - probably more for the novelty aspect.