1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

I now have to print my PLA using ABS settings since upgrading to Olsson Ruby

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by ErnieN, Jul 13, 2018.

1. ErnieN

ErnieN New Member

If I use PLA settings it comes out stringy and doesn't adhere well. Apparently 190C isn't enough to melt the PLA sufficiently. But all is ok if I use ABS settings.

This is with filament that I used before with my old original nozzle and it worked fine. Note that my old nozzle must have been very worn out (I print with Carbon Fiber and Wood infused as well as metal infused filament a lot). My Mosaic PV number for the calibration print went down by about 10,000 mm with the new nozzle indicating I'm using much less filament - about an 8% difference.

I guess it's livable, but has anyone else seen this?

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dont use a Ruby, I see no advantage over a hardened nozzle and almost 3x (or more) the cost. Just not worth it for me. I'd imagine to keep everything at temp and increase in operating temperature would be normal. I'd suggest reaching out to them and finding out honestly as I dont know any member that has purchased it. (for what its worth I print abrasives all the time- still using the same hardened nozzle with no decrease in quality for the last 3 years)

3. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/ruby-or-sapphire-for-nozzle-tip.20974/

There used to be a thread here where someone went over all of the flaws in it (complete with a cutaway section showing the failure points of the nozzle), but I can't seem to find it and the thread I originally had linked here wasn't actually the one I thought it was.

The upshot was that the gem in the tip of the nozzle had a large flat surface that was outside the melt zone of the hotend that the extruder has to overcome, so you really have to melt the plastic in order for it to get out the tip of the nozzle before it hardens again.

Geof likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Likewise. Mine are fine after a lot (dozens of spools) of printing.