1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partial Answer Extruding Issue I guess?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Andrew Kershaw, Jul 6, 2018.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Andrew Kershaw
    265°C?????????

I have never seen PLA print that high, are you sure there isn't something messed up with either firmware or the thermistor or maybe it isn't PLA after all? 265° C is even hotter than I print nylon! PLA needs to be extruded at almost the lowest temperature that will allow it to flow. After your last post I am confused too.

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

specific temperature recomendations are silly.

WheresWaldo and Geof like this.
  3. Andrew Kershaw

Andrew Kershaw New Member

Okay I tried 210 and it does extrude so maybe I should use this temp but that doesn't solve my issue of it not being able to print anything but I have noticed when I click the extrude 10 mm it starts to come out as an angle and not in a straight line it is kinda bending off to the right or left is there a way to fix this cause I have tried to do cold pull or I think atomic pull not completely sure and I stuck a small needle to clean out the nozzle but it will still not extrude out straight. Can this be the issue with it not printing anything? Also this is my first time printing so I don't know a lot about temperatures, material, nozzles, and hot ends. And I was just using the basic temp the required which was 245

4. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

Check your retraction and reduce it. I switched to a genuine E3D V6 hotend due to certain ABS hanging up on retraction. I now currently retract only .5mm and have the non-printing speed at 3800mm/min to get the hot end to where it needs to go.

When you have big retraction, the hot filament goes up into the transition zone/heat sink area and cools which clogs the thing up.

Also, the hexagon hotend has its cooling limits about running at those temps for any length of time. I could do small prints just fine, but when running at 245+ for more than an hour, the heat sink would heat up too much and clog. V6 fixed all those issues, btw.

I've printed with that Raptor PLA before, it does in fact print surprisingly hot.

If you nozzle seems screwed up, I'd just grab a new one. They are cheap enough.