1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

motor problems? *video posted*

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by sawce_bause, Aug 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sawce_bause

sawce_bause New Member

just a heads up, the r2 is my first 3d printer and actually the first time i've had my hands on a 3d printer
    i just got this printer mid last week and have been trying to learn how to use it. so please bear with me if i sound ignorant a dumb as this is all new to me

on my second attempted print (first time using cura) i had an issue it where it weemed like the z offest wasnt saved and the nozzle ended up digging into the bed.

as a safety precaution i now calibrate the z offset before every print. and havent had any issues until this morning.

after a couple of test prints and and printing some parts for my r2 like the filament hose clips stylus holder and filament cleaners i decided to try out a more complicated longer print. the estimated print time was about 16 hours. and about the half way point of the print i noticed that the print was no longer aligned. so i canceled the print. upon canceling the print the "extruder part" started going back to its resting position in the back left corner of the printer but it started makeing some weird stuttering sounds and it didn't go all the way to the left. so i shut down the printer and left it for about 2-3 hours to get some errands done.

i started the printer up again did my now ritualistic z offset calibration which looked like it went fine. so i decided to record my next print which was supposed to be the spiral bed test and this is what happened

(edit) it looks like my post count has not met the minimum requirement to post a video or link
    (edit) link to video posted

#1 sawce_bause, Aug 4, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    Landstrider likes this.
  2. sawce_bause

sawce_bause New Member

i just chatted with support and they told me to check the micro switches the rods are supposed to hit. seems fine but i do notice the extruder part doesnt move from left to right as smooth as it did yesterday

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

switches were my first guess. The machine is trying to move home and cannot (the grinding noise). I'd take a look at aligning the gantry. Instructions are on this thingiverse page last I checked.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2532723

If the gantry is way out of wack the belts should feel loose or the crossbars to the extruder carriage will seem "screwy" Can you attach some good clear photos of the top of the machine looking down and we can take a look? (take all sorts of pictures -the more the merrier)

4. sawce_bause

sawce_bause New Member

hope these help

Attached Files:

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey, thank you for that. I dont see anything that could phsyically stop movement. Are all the belts about the same amount of "tight" ? Past that I'd suggest cleaning the rods off and lubricating them. Move the gantry (the hotend) around by hand with the power off, slide smooth? If yes It could be a bad stepper driver or loose connection for the X axis. We can walk through that when your ready.

Thanks,
    Geof

sawce_bause likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Make sure the X/Y switches are being triggered when you manually move the extruder around.

sawce_bause and Geof like this.
  7. sawce_bause

sawce_bause New Member

i called in a favor and had a buddy of mine print me a set of the gantry aligning clips.
    i aligned the gantry as per instructions in robo3d's article
    y axis was ok, the x axis took a little fiddling. but x axis doesnt seem to ride as smoothly as it did in the past and is uber crunchy compared to the x axis. at least it didnt bind like it did a day ago

tried to do a test print but it failed again and started doing the same thing about 10 layers after the raft

8. sawce_bause

sawce_bause New Member

the belts seem to have even tension except for the ones going to the motor, which feel super tight. which in my head makes sense since they are much much shorter

yup, cleaned the rods with some lithium grease per robo's article

when moving the gantry on the x axis it feels super crunchy and stiff compared to the y axis. its so bad that if i have the hot end is in the forward or rear position it just binds completely and i cant even move it by hand. (i probably could with some force but id rather not break something on accident)
    i can try and shoot a video of me moving it around if it would help

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes please

sawce_bause likes this.
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If this is still under warranty make sure you keep an eye on the clock :)
    If we can help you get it sorted -- great -- but you want to be able to simply get them to swap it if we can't help you get going.

Just throwin' that out there/

Geof and sawce_bause like this.
  11. sawce_bause

sawce_bause New Member

since my r2 is still within the exchange period i ended up just taking it back to where i bought it from and ordered a complete replacement. fingers crossed that i wont be running into issues with the one i have on its way.

thanks for everyones help

Geof, WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
  12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Great idea :)
    Hopefully you get a working one this go-round.

sawce_bause and Geof like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.