1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Priming noodle

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by tkoco, Jul 2, 2018.

1. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

I have noticed that after the C2 printer has made the priming strip at the front of the platform, it continues to extrude a noodle of filament before it starts the actual printing job. If one is using a raft for adhesion, the noodle is of no consequence. However, if one is using a brim or no adhesion assistance, that noodle can interfere with the printing job (gets in the way of the bottom layer). So, what is the recommended method (if any) to minimize the noodle?

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

to remove the priming line and temperature from the octoprint start up script. Or change the temperature to a normal PLA temperature (as 230 C that they have it set to is NOT normal PLA temp lol)

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Or add some retraction before the start :) However the approach @Geof mentions is easier

Geof likes this.
  4. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

@Geof gave me an idea. Instead of eliminating the priming strip g-code, I altered it to extrude less filament and print slower. I'll let everyone know how that pans out.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Update: Went into the OctoPrint startup script [ login & Settings > GCODE scripts > before print job starts ] and made the following changes:

; heat to priming line temp
    ;M109 S210 (initial setting)
    M109 S200

and

; print 120mm priming line
    ;G1 X120 E15.0 F500 (initial setting)
    G1 X120 E12.0 F300

Now the filament noodle is almost gone. Just a thin, hair-like stringing which I can live with.

David Mrazik and mark tomlinson like this.
  6. David Mrazik

David Mrazik New Member

I forgot about making adjustments while in octoprint. The priming line while printing ABS was running at 210, which isn't enough to extrude it properly. Thanks

7. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Update: I had gotten rid of the noodle earlier, however, I noticed that the noodle had re-appeared. Huh? So, I started checking settings. For whatever reason, the C2 definition in Cura had G-code in it's start and end boxes (Preferences -> Configure Cura -> Printers -> Machine Settings). I erased the contents and closed it out. The noodle disappeared on the next printing, :)