1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Strange Extrusion Issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by TheOneWhoWhelms, Aug 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheOneWhoWhelms

TheOneWhoWhelms New Member

Hello! I'm having a strange extrusion issue on my R1+, it almost seems like the stepper is pushing too much filament through the hotend, but then it seems to jam:
    Extrusion_Issue.jpg

Has anyone seen this before? It started happening recently, ~7 days ago, and I've made no change to the printer at all, neither setting-wise, hardware-wise, or even swapped the filament from the past few prints that came out without any issues and when this started having problems.

I've cleaned the extruder out, in fact I even bought an entirely new hot-end and installed it, to no avail. I've also manually run a few pieces of filament through, bypassing the stepper, and that seems to be fine. Manually extruding 10-100mm of filament through also seems to work without any problems.

Any ideas? Thank you so much in advance!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Geof and TheOneWhoWhelms like this.
  3. TheOneWhoWhelms

I have not look into calibrating the extruder, but I will try it, thanks! I didn't think about it just because I haven't changed anything lately. And yes, this is PLA, that's the only material I've used in the past 3-4 months as well.

Thanks again, I'll try this and report back!

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The Robo extruders are not calibrated as delivered. They will be about 10% off I'd say on average. Some more, some less. They just used default gregs wade numbers and left it at that.

PLA clogging like that is not uncommon either.

Good luck.

Geof likes this.
  5. TheOneWhoWhelms

Thank you! I've actually been using this for over 2 years without any adjustments/calibrations. But I will try to calibrate this in the next day or two and see if it helps to resolve this issue.

Geof likes this.
  6. TheOneWhoWhelms

Thank you! I've actually had this thing for just over 2 years, and I've never had an issue quite like this. I've been pretty good at cold-pulling filament whenever I change a spool, and I did go through the process of seasoning the extruder every time I've replaced the nozzle, I'm wondering if perhaps there's something going on with the stepper.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That is a perfectly valid assumption. There are actually three electrical parts that could be a factor and I will list them in the order that would would 'suspect' them of the cause.

1) The stepper driver. It is a little card that mounts on the RAMPS board (which plugs into the brains -- the Arduino). There are 4 on an R1 and 5 on an R1+ (it has two for the Z). So X/Y/Z/Extruder all use this to actually make the stepper, well, step :)

2) The stepper motor (the linked one is typical, it should fit the Robo, but sanity check the physical dimensions to be sure)

3) The RAMPS 1.4 board.

The links are not suggestions to buy, merely examples :) I frankly am with @Geof and usually suggest just buying an all-in-one kit from Amazon that has all of the electronics bits and if you buy a box of steppers you can save a little bit there too (per motor).

Geof likes this.
  8. TheOneWhoWhelms

Perfect, thanks! I'll try to calibrate the extruder a few times first just to see if that makes a difference, and then I'll look into the other pieces if that doesn't solve it

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The all-in-one kits are like these (again no promotion, but I have used some of the ones from Amazon). If you are curious this is what I meant:

https://smile.amazon.com/OSOYOO-Printer-Controller-Stepper-Heatsink/dp/B0111ZSS2O

or

https://smile.amazon.com/BIQU-Mega2560-Control-Controller-Stepstick/dp/B075CZ7PVW

or

https://smile.amazon.com/kuman-Printer-Controller-Arduino-Starter/dp/B016D6DSBW

or others :)

They are all priced about the same and are a good value. Also I have had the occasional individual part (like a RAMPS) come in bad and require a return, but never one from the 'kit'

10. TheOneWhoWhelms

Awesome, thank you! I think I may have narrowed down the cause of the issue, it looks like the extruder fan is shot, I removed it and tested it with a 9v battery and it only moves in short bursts. I had an extra one from a kit I purchased awhile ago for the printer that I built, same specs, and I hooked that up to the same battery and it spins like a dream. I've heard of issues like this before when the fan isn't working correctly, so I'm going to replace that now and try this out.

Thanks again for your help!

11. TheOneWhoWhelms

@mark tomlinson, thank you so much for your help! The issue with this was the extruder fan. Swapped that out and it resumed working.

mark tomlinson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.