1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

PrintedSolid and Creality

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mark tomlinson, Aug 27, 2018.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Geof likes this.
  2. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

The part that is being missed in all this is the behind-the-scenes bit where the Marlin devs pulled their usual "you are an incompetent moron, do what I say or we're taking our ball and going home" schtick and Creality basically said "Fuck you" in response.

EDIT: Also, when did PrintedSolid change to PrintSolid?

#2 daniel871, Aug 28, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    nytcrawlr and Geof like this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

So if I don't like the license terms for Office I can safely pirate from Microsoft?
    That logic is flawed. There are alternatives if I don't like your terms, use another.

jim3Dbot and Geof like this.
  4. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

The argument is flawed, because Creality had done exactly what the license terms state for several of their machines. Two of the machines that use Marlin hadn't had the files released yet, one of the Marlin devs publicly called the staff at Creality morons and Creality retaliated by stating that Marlin could fuck itself and they'd write their own firmware.

Since then, one of Marlin's devs has continued the horseshit by calling for people to doxx "Naomi Wu" and harass her in retaliation for her defending the company she works for. They've long since lost the "high ground" here.

I would never buy a Creality machine because I don't trust the electronics they use, but GPL in this instance is purely about the firmware. This historical revision of what has actually happened just because the Marlin devs claim things happened differently than they actually did (if you actually read the Github logs for each of the Creality machines you'll see this) is dumb.

#4 daniel871, Aug 28, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    nytcrawlr likes this.