1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered R1 + 40W Ceramic Cartridge Heater issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by David Avila, Aug 28, 2018.

1. David Avila

David Avila Member

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Hmm, those should work just fine. If a 3rd one has the same issue I'd ping the seller and make sure you didn't get the wrong ones from them by mistake (i.e. make sure they sent what you ordered). It is unlikely that the RAMPS has failed on that MOSFET and is sending too much power, but that is about the only other possibility I can imagine. The heater cores are just resistors, but they might have gotten a bum batch in.

3. David Avila

David Avila Member

ok I was thinking they are bad also, I will try one more and see. I just worried about the wires getting hot like that

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That is disturbing if they are getting too hot. Warm? Yes, but actually hot? No.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

FWIW: I have only used the 40w cores for several years now and the cheap batches off of Amazon is what I normally get. So far have not had a bad one, but yours sure sounds like a bad batch or the RAMPS board somehow over-driving them (which I find a bit difficult to swallow). RAMPS board MOSFET outputs are going to fail full-off or full-on (normally full-off) and either of those cases would not give you the symptoms you see. If it is maintaining temperature, but the wires are getting hot that sounds like the heater core itself.

6. David Avila

David Avila Member

I returned them and order from new ones from a different seller. So ill keep you up to date. Thanks for all the help