1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved USB cable from front panel

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by jogul, Sep 9, 2018.

1. jogul

jogul Member

I just bought a used C2 and the cable coming from the front USB port is not connected to anything inside. Where is it supposed to connect?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The Raspberry Pi.
    Just plug it into one of the free USB ports on the Pi

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is not what I would call terribly useful -- the USB port that is :)

You will likely use OctoPrint for most of the printing that you do and that has a web interface, no need to hook a PC/Mac/Whatever up to the USB ports. Just use a web browser

4. jogul

jogul Member

Thanks. Now a second issue. The screen is white. Tried restarting several times. Still white, so I guess there is no way to operate the Bobo?

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, that is a bad LCD or a bad connection to the Raspberry Pi
    You can still totally operate the printer from OctoPrint and a web browser.
    If OctoPrint is not working then it is certain you have a bad Raspberry Pi (or more likely a bad SD card and image)

6. jogul

jogul Member

When I scan my network for devices the Robo is not showing up. What does that mean?

#6 jogul, Sep 9, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, is it plugged in with an Ethernet cable?
    Other wise you will not be able to setup WiFi without the LCD.
    Also if the Pi is not working (the white screen sort-of says that it is hung or something) it is not going to get on your network :)

If the LCD is just bad then an ethernet cable would let the Pi get on your network and you should see it. Without the LCD setting up WiFi is doable, but it will be a pain since you will need to use Putty or something to the Pi via Ethernet (wired) and then manually configure the WiFi settings.

8. jogul

jogul Member

Need to find an ethernet cable tomorrow morning and ty that.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If that doesn't help then I think I would start by flashing the SD card for the Pi. There is a copy of an SD card on the forum here (although you will want to change the printer name if you use something else's -- but just using another image will at least get it booted to where you can adjust things). More likely than not the Pi is fine and the LCD is trashed (they are cheap).

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You want to change the printer name because they all "dial home" for updates and if your printer name duplicates someone else's it will be a problem (the update part would be a problem, other than that it will work fine)

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

We can get you sorted :) The LCD is like $25 from Amazon if you need one.

12. jogul

jogul Member

Can you tell me which one on Amazon? Also I just connected the USB output of the main board directly to my computer so I could check out everything through S3D and x,y and z plus extruder all work fine. So that is a relief. I also pulled the micro sd card from the pi and looked at the contents and everything appears to be there. Meanwhile when I reconnected the LCD I had it reversed and fried it! So I will definitely need to order a new one. In the interim I guess I can operate it tethered with S3D.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

jogul likes this.
  14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Make a backup copy of your SD card while you have it in hand.
    Use Win32Disk imager or whatever software works on your machine to create a clone of the SD card. This way you can later always recover your image (and have updates auto applied as needed) if you lose the Sd card (i.e. if it gets corrupted).

jogul likes this.
  15. jogul

jogul Member

Printing OK tethered directly to computer. New LCD ordered from Amazon. Thanks for the link.

Attached Files:

mark tomlinson likes this.
  16. jogul

jogul Member

I got the new LCD today and hooked it up. Still white screen. Could the SD card be corrupted. Where can a get the image so I can reflash it?

#16 jogul, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you want an exact copy of your own image you get it from Robo. Contact them and they will email it to you.

There is an image floating around here you ca search for a download link* to and then use that BUT since their updates/etc are tied to machine name you will want to note your current printer name and change the one on the image to match it. That requires logging onto the Raspberry Pi with a terminal program and doing a few commands:

https://geek-university.com/raspberry-pi/change-raspberry-pis-hostname/

If you are not clear on how to logon to the Raspberry Pi there are some generic instructions here (the default username and password unchanged on the image Robo uses)

http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/raspberry-pi-ssh

*http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/robo-c2-image-download-link.17955/

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

#18 mark tomlinson, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

20. jogul

jogul Member

Solved. Downloaded the imaged that is floating around. I thought my micros SD might be suspect and I didn't have another one so I used my micro-sd to SD converter and flashed a 16GB SD card I had laying around. LCD then worked fine. Next issue was started getting message to reconnect Rasberry to main board. Thought maybe eat USB cable was flaky so I substituted another one and its been printing fine since. I had thought the Raspberry pi was bad at one point and cut it loose from the standoffs so now it floats but I guess thats ok since I'm not going to be moving it around. It also gives me room for the micro sd to SD converter. Thanks to all for your advice. Leaning a lot.

mark tomlinson likes this.