1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Cura 3.4.1?

Discussion in 'Software' started by MWDK, Sep 11, 2018.

1. MWDK

MWDK New Member

So im using Cura 2.5.... aparently there is a 3.4.1 version.. But what settings do i need to use in that version to use my R2 propperly?
    I have a machine profile in 2.5. Do i need to make such in 3.4.1? :)
    I know - silly question - but i want to use the best software possible if it means less problems!

Thanks!

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

yes. I'm not a cura user so cant be specific but I imagine you can export your profile, download and open the new cura and import your profile into it? Not real sure since I dont use it, but that would make sense to me lol.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It is probably more complicated than that (I have not used Cura since 2.x either).
    I suspect that you will need to copy files around manually at least. They had the profiles in JSON files that were not directly editable from from the UI if I recall correctly. I had to edit mine in notepad to configure the printers I added.

Free though so there is that :)

Geof likes this.
  4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

At this point Simplify is for me too and I can export, import bam bam lol. Sorry I cant be more useful with the questions but since I bought it forever ago I've not used Cura since (unless it specific on one of my machines and I dont have time to tune a profile)

MWDK and mark tomlinson like this.
  5. MWDK

MWDK New Member

Do you think i should buy Simplify then and trash Cura? :)

6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@MWDK I am not sure @Geof is saying that, I know I would never say that. Exhaust the possibilities of all the free slicers first. Cura in its latest iterations has much better support for supports (where Simplify3D led the pack) and Slic3r has made great improvements since Josef Prusa started investing resources to update it. I can tell you that people like myself would have stayed with Slic3r or Cura had they been 2 years ago at the point they are now. Save that money in the short term and buy more filament instead.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, unless you are doing this for money stay with the free ones until they let you down.

WheresWaldo likes this.
  8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

triple that. did not mean to imply you should buy S3D. 100% use whats free. They are all learning curves, I can only speak to the one I use. There are MANY people who do perfect with the free ones. Apologies if it seemed I was suggesting or implying you should spend your money (I wouldn't say that :D )

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No, no you reserve that for me ;)

Geof likes this.
  10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh yes! I have not yet finished spending your money bahahahahah

11. CdRsKuLL

CdRsKuLL Member

You might be able to copy your printer definition from your old cura to the new one. Once you have copied it over just restart the new cura and select that your machine that should now appear. Hopefully, it will pull all your old settings in.

The definitions are stored in /resources/definitions in each version.
    cura.JPG

Thanks,

Steve

mark tomlinson likes this.
  12. KenO

KenO New Member

What I do to set up my R2 printer in a new version of Cura is this:

1. Do not let Cura delete your copy of Cura version 2.5.0

2. Using Windows, open Cura 2.5.0 and then hold down the windows key on your keyboard and do Ctrl left arrow key,

3. Open the upgraded version and again hold down the windows key on your computer but do Ctrl right arrow key.

4. On each version, click on Settings, Configure Settings Visability . . .,

5. Select Printers in each version in the menu on the left of these two windows and then Machine Settings,

6. Do the same for the other version and copy the settings to the new version and close the windows.

7. This has worked for me.

This link: https://support-site.readthedocs.io/en/master/cura-for-robo-desktop/index.html should show you how to set up the connection to the printer through the WiFi.

Ken Olsen