1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Issue with Z axis steps

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by stahlee, Sep 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stahlee

stahlee New Member

So I've come across an issue that I can't get to the bottom of. It seems something happens to my Z axis after reaching certain heights. Like it's not stepping up each layer. So it prints fine to about 8mm and then smashes a few layers together, then prints fine again and then smashes layers together.

See the included photos. It will eventually start pushing the hot end through the print and break it loose from the bed.

I'm looking for some suggestions on what to do next. I've checked all the cables and belts. Everything is connected and tight. Using Simplify3D and I see nothing in the preview showing a software glitch. This one has me stumped.

Let me add one piece of info. One of the Y belt connectors broke about a month ago which caused a spaghetti mess which was easy to fix. It was around that timeframe I started having these issues.

R1 Plus

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

So one of two things...
    Either you used the wrong version of the firmware for your printer and the Z steps are "close" but not "right" (as in they are set to 2500 and should be 2250) OR the Z steppers are not stepping consistently/correctly. That could be caused by one or more bad steppers OR (more likely) a bad stepper driver. If you have an R1 then there is one Z stepper driver and if you have an R1+ there are two (which, is silly, but there you go).

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There are three R1 "styles" of the firmware out there:
    1) The beta
    2) The R1
    3) The R1+

and they all have different Z steps. Make sure you have the correct one.

4. stahlee

stahlee New Member

I run my own version of the Marlin software for several years and it has not been updated since 2016. If you look back I wrote the documentation for mesh bed leveling. I also am using the same profiles I always used. So nothing has changed for the last two years and I print almost everyday.

I feared it may be a bad stepper. I've been using this printer pretty hard for 3 years so I was bound to have something fail.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Stepper or the stepper driver then. I'd start with the stepper driver (cheaper than a stepper).

6. stahlee

stahlee New Member

I'll start with the driver and go from there. Thanks!

7. TheMegaK

TheMegaK New Member

Just wondering if you had any luck, I'm having the same issue and chasing down the root has been complex for me as the issue surfaced right around a day after i upgraded my R1 with new lead screw motors. I had about of day of no issues after the upgrade but then the z axis switch sensors (i think Mikes design) started to fail as in they wouldn't remain activated(pressed down) during the print, i fixed that problem by assuring that they slid into the carriage without any friction but now since i addressed that issue, i am now having the same exact issue as you except my z axis not only smashes a few layers together, it keeps going, smashing the print all the way down to the bed and keeps trying to print downwards into the bed. It's strange because the printer levels correctly, and i did have success printing prior to having the issue with the z sensor switches and the the printer does print 5 mm or so high before it starts down a destructive path.

8. TheMegaK

TheMegaK New Member

oh also i'm running the v3 official robo 3d r1 firmware if that helps. Only modified the z axis steps to match my new lead screw motor. I know those values are correct.

9. stahlee

stahlee New Member

I actually decided to open up the base this morning and check all the connections. I removed each connector and looked them over to see if there were any problems. While everything looked good, I made sure each of the pins were seating properly in the connectors. After putting it back together, I printed my calibration tower and it functioned perfectly. So I printed a 7 hour print and it came up flawlessly. Something must have been loose under there.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.