1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved X-Axis Layer Shift

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by izumi5188, Oct 1, 2018.

1. izumi5188

izumi5188 Member

I'm away from my machine but this has perplexed me all weekend.

Machine is an R1 plus, not sure what version of Marlin I'm running.

I am getting layer shifting on the X-Axis. It is different every time I print. Rotating the model and switching models doesn't seem to make a difference. Some come out nice other small layer shifts. Maybe 1mm.

My X-Axis belt was way loose. I have cut that and gave it a much tighter fit. I am not seeing any missing ribs(?) on the belt. I've also tightened my screws on the gear/stepper motor. Didn't seem to make a difference. I've also added my lubrication to my X-Axis Rails., nothing appears to catch when I disengage the motors and slide my carriage back and forth. My extruder doesn't feel like it has play in the carriage as well.

Could my stepper driver be going out? Should I try and switch the Y and X axis to see if the shift switches?

Thoughts and other ideas would be great.

Thanks.

FYI, I probably won't be back for several hours. Writing this over lunch, and I wasn't finding anything much beside belt tension in the forums over the weekend.

Thanks again.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If you have eliminated the mechanical (common) reasons then electrical is next. Swapping a stepper driver from Y to X will certainly be a good test (I actually keep a dozen or so in a drawer because we have a number of printers and those are $2 parts). It may even be that if you swap the drivers the slip disappears :) I would still replace that driver in that case.

Stepper drivers example: https://smile.amazon.com/Longruner-Stepstick-Stepper-Driver-Printer/dp/B0166QZ5HO

maybe that axis driver just lost the heatsink? If that is the case, cyanoacrylate (AKA superglue) will fix it :)

Last thing to suspect is the RAMPS itself.

Geof likes this.
  3. S1hane

S1hane New Member

Is there some kind of check you can do on the steppers using an ohm meter or multimeter?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Not that simple :)

However if you want to experiment there are some Arduino sketches you could load (instead of the Robo firmware) and run tests on them. It is not easy to do with a meter since they are steppers.
    Here is a video that talks about some testing, but it is not easy on an assembled printer

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I would swap the motors as described above first to see if there is a potential issue with a stepper before worrying about testing

6. izumi5188

izumi5188 Member

Hey Mark,
    I haven't had a chance to test swapping the stepper drivers. When I turned my machine over, I found little ball bearings. I've figured out the source of the bearings. No idea what the part is, how to replace it, or if this would some how result in layer shifting. My guess is it could, causing my x-axis to get uneven and bind.

Do you know what this linear bearing is and how to get it swapped out? And do you think this would cause some of my layer shift?

My guess to get it out I need to push the whole bearing through to the other side with a rod of the same diameter.

Attached Files:

7. izumi5188

izumi5188 Member

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yep, all of those components will work. The only part you can't use are the couplers in the second link kit if you have an R1+ because it doesn't use them -- you have leadscrews attached directly to the stepper motor shaft (no couplers). Other than that -- all good.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

and those links are excellent examples of why standard parts (like the standard RAMPS and Arduino Mega) are so good :) They are cheap

10. izumi5188

izumi5188 Member

Thanks Mark.
    Placing the order. Hopefully I get that bearing switched out before the weekend. All depending on when they arrive. I'm probably that last person without Amazon Prime.

11. izumi5188

izumi5188 Member

Totally forgot to update this. Without replacing the driver and just replacing the belt and bad linear bearings. I have been up and printing.

I will say it's obnoxious that the R1+ came with a continuous loop belt and you have to rig a new one to it with zip ties.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The R1 and the beta did not have that continuous loop and I agree it is a pain :)

Geof likes this.