1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

BuildTac FlexPlate on V2 bed?

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Adam Laird, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Adam Laird

Adam Laird Member

Has anyone tried installing the BuildTak FlexPlate system on their V2 bed? I’ve been knocking prints off mine with a mallet, and I was wondering if the flexible bed would help. It’d also save some wear and tear on the ribbon cable’s clip.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If you get the right size I see no reason why it won’t work just remember to adjust the slicer for the max z height

3. Shrey

Shrey Active Member

Only if mine stuck that well, I've been using hairspray on top of the buildtak to get my parts to stick. I'm gonna test out ultrabase from anycubic, But ultimately i really just prefer the pei sheet. As for flexplate it would be a really good mod upgrade if it works well.

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Shrey I found this tip from Josef Prusa, he said use an anti-static window cleaner on the build surface. The chemicals used to prevent dust from clinging help materials on the bed. As long as your offset is correct for proper adhesion. What I do is spray a paper towel then wipe, but don't dry the cleaner on the bed surface. the bed is cleaned from debris and dust but a film of the window cleaner dried on the build surface.

I was using hairspray also on top of the BuildTak. When this sheet it gouged too many times I am going to replace it with PEI instead. For some reason, in my limited experience with build surfaces, I like the PEI better.

Shrey likes this.
  5. Redriche

Redriche Member

I have it on mine and like it a lot. 8"x8"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geof likes this.
  6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Have you/do you print volume ? Any change in build size ?

7. Adam Laird

Adam Laird Member

#7 Adam Laird, Mar 8, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2018
    Geof likes this.
  8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Adam, I changed your link to a direct forum link instead of one going through Tapatalk servers.

I use Tapatalk on mobile and think it is a great little app, but not everyone else does.

#8 WheresWaldo, Mar 9, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    Geof likes this.
  9. Adam Laird

Adam Laird Member

Sorry! I’m new to the app and I didn’t realize that the link was routed through Tapatalk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geof likes this.
  10. ErnieN

ErnieN New Member

DSC02380.JPG Hey, I just got an 8x8 Flexplate from MatterHackers (Robo3D always seem to be out of stock). It doesn't fit like the videos here that cover the entire bed. The actual V2 build bed on my R2 is 9x9 but the Flexplate is 8x8 (MatterHackers doesn't even sell one in 9x9). So there is a half inch gap all around the Flexplate. But I know I've printed things that were closer than a half inch to the edge.

I asked Robo3D customer service about this issue, but haven't heard back yet. Anyone else run into this? Their product page for the Flexplate doesn't actually mention the precise size of the Flexplate they sell for the R2.

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

The Robo print area for the R2 is actually 7.76" square

mark tomlinson likes this.
  12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If you go to buildtak website you’ll see a listing option for R2. Its not the 8x8 it’s the 8.66 or something. I imagine there isn’t much Robo cscan do for you since you bought the wrong size from matterhackers

13. ErnieN

ErnieN New Member

Yeah, the 8.66x8.66 is what I needed.

Thanks!

Geof likes this.
  14. ErnieN

ErnieN New Member

Anybody try white buildtak on the R2? I think it should just work, but I've had issues where shiny glue was causing issues with auto-leveling before.

15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@WheresWaldo has at one point and noticed the white doesn't play as repeatably as black did.

16. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Yeah, I used white PEI to replace the existing black PEI sheet. The sensor started triggering at about 15 mm IIRC. but the issue was that if you checked other sections of the bed, the not smooth finish scattered some of the IR and I got readings that varied widely. The black sheets just seem more reliable and has better repeatability.

Geof likes this.