1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Repurposing Pirate3d Buccaneer

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by milw, Jul 29, 2017.

1. name61

name61 New Member

Thanks

2. Jeepguy42

Jeepguy42 New Member

Figured I'd post this here. I have one of the first or second batches of the few that were released. I just started changing out the control board for a RAMPS 1.4 and Arduino Mega 2560 and figured since I didn't want to rely on the proprietary hotend block I would reuse an E3D-V6 hotend and a E3D Titan Extruder I have laying around. I've created this to facilitate moving the Mechanical Endstop and the Optical Sensor from the existing assembly and to hold my e3D hotend. It also lets me add an actual part cooling fan based off the Prusa i3 MK2s extruder. Let me know if this is benifical to any one or not. I will hopefully be getting my Ramps Board today and I can play and test this week

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2765829

#42 Jeepguy42, Jan 22, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2018
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Fixed it for you

Jeepguy42 likes this.
  4. milw

milw New Member

Has anyone made a Marlin config file yet? I'm just getting my Ramps 1.4 hooked up, so that'll be the next step.
    Whoops, just read the updates to Jeepguy42's post and he's got one posted on thingiverse, here's his link again: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2765829

5. low5545

low5545 New Member

I made it in! The username is root or buccaneer, and the password is the WiFi password of your buccaneer.

#45 low5545, Feb 28, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    Bastien and racer like this.
  6. racer

racer Member

Well done! Hopefully we can make some progress now.

Does someone have the Marlin Firmware for the Buccaneer?

7. Bastien

Bastien New Member

I am also on the way, buccaneer ramps 1.4 polulu :) with a Marlin, but not yet started Marlin setup.

8. Bastien

Bastien New Member

Super ,!! Is this a way to log on the raspberry pi like ?

9. Mark Henderson

Mark Henderson New Member

Hello. I also dug out my old Buccaneer that I received. I was one of the first to get one of the first batches, so everything on my unit is a bit... troublesome. Figured I might breath life into it yet.

Anyway I've collated as much stuff as I can regarding the original Pirate 3D software on a GitHub repo. I can't post a direct link here, but if you're a Git person I'm sure you can figure out how to reverse engineer the URL from:

farseeker/pirate-3d-buccaneer.git

The original Windows 0.9.11.exe software is there (I have the DMG for OSX somewhere too, but haven't found it yet). I was able to get onto the SD card (popped it into a Linux machine, added my public key to the root authorized_users and then SSH'd into it).

If there's anything else I can get for you, let me know and I'll see if I have it floating around.

The only other interesting tidbit is that Pirate 3D forked Marlin ages ago and actually shipped it:

Pirate3DInc/Marlin.git

The only thing I can see that they committed though is an update to the readme?

(sorry for the lack of actual real links, I hate the fact that I need to post three times before I can post real links)

Bastien likes this.
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sadly we get a lot of spam. Mostly posting links to various products.
    Robo has the forum set that way to reduce it somewhat until an admin/moderator can nuke the spammer.

Geof and WheresWaldo like this.
  11. Bastien

Bastien New Member

Thanks Mark !

12. tomventie

tomventie New Member

hi there, 3dpirate used to let users download the latest version 0.9.17 at amazonaws.com/buccaneerapps/windows/Buccaneer-0.9.17.exe.
    seems they didnt continue paying the amazon server, does anyone have that version? i saw 0.9.17, but my win10 doesnt seem to like that version, metro cracks down when "adding" (loading) a file.
    i tried to install the older version because suddenly, after over a hundred hours of printing, metro shows a "file download fail" after having transferred the stl file to the printer. (for All stl files, those that worked before of course)
    any thoughts what the problem could be?
    maybe reinstall of 0.9.17 can help? link?
    thanks

13. tomventie

tomventie New Member

[QUOTE="farseeker/pirate-3d-buccaneer.git
    The original Windows 0.9.11.exe software is there [/QUOTE]

dear mark,
    could you please send me the 0.9.11 version to tomventie@gmail.com, i dont know github but i have a working printer that doesnt print because the older version i installed cracks down when/after trying to "add an stl file"

i also tried 0.9.16 apk on android, same error when uploading a file to the printer: "unable to download"

does anybody know what could be done here?

#53 tomventie, Mar 14, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  14. tomventie

tomventie New Member

that s a good idea. my problem is that even with the mobile version the printer always lets the display show "unable to print" after transferring the file, so my guess is that the printer s sw needs to be reinstalled.

you made a copy? what version? i have 5.6 on the tf card. could you please send me your version?

#54 tomventie, Mar 14, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2018
  15. Dragonsquirrel

Dragonsquirrel New Member

Hi, I got hold of one of these recently, and although mine printed ok using the windows app, the scaling was off (100mm printed as 96mm or so)

So like you, I decided to go digging, and I think I have some info you can use :)

The garbage you were seeing in the serial trace isn't garbage, your serial settings are correct. The issue is that the Buccaneer guys took the Marlin code, and altered it to customise the communications protocol. While it's still using GCode for most stuff, they've tweaked a few things.

The default Marlin 1 byte XOR checksum, has been replaced with a 4 byte one, and the algorithm doesn't appear to be any standard crc32.

Every command sent to the controller via serial MUST have a 4 byte checksum, or it's just ignored. You can test this by saving up old commands, killing off propeller and then replaying old commands, the printer will acknowledge them.

The other thing is that every command sent to the printer must have a sequence number, eg N54785 M119 .. which makes reusing the older commands a little harder.

The printer responds with OK:seqno*.... ( "OK:" then the sequence number you sent as part of N54785 then "*" then a checksum) for you to know that it received the command ok, and for some commands it'll reply with DONE: .. it'll also spam constantly with TEMP: and for long running commands reports the percentage done by spamming PERCENT: .

(Interesting side note, all the custom stuff in the printer is run via /usr/bin/InitializePrinter which reads a list of components/directories to launch from ~buccaneer/.firmwareUpdater/firmwareUpdater .. "propeller" is the big blob that does everything from listening for app connections, to trying to connect to treasure island, to handling all the comms with the printer over the serial port, including adding those checksums etc.. )

So I went digging, and after more than a little effort, I managed to recreate their checksum routine. Using it, I'm able to send any GCode I like to the printer. So then I took octoprint, and started customising it a bit so it can add the checksums itself..I've got it far enough that it's able to connect to the controller firmware, and almost prints.. almost because it currently tries to print in mid air.. I'm missing a trick somewhere re why..

My octoprint fork is over in github at https://github.com/BarDweller/Octoprint (yay for admin fixing link) getting it running on the a20 board isn't too tricky, I just altered the propeller component to launch octoprint instead, I had to install virtualenv for python2, and use pip to install numpy (that takes a while!) and edit the config.yaml in .octoprint to set serial: isBuccaneer: true

The GCode is mostly unmodified marlin (the controller firmware still identifies as marlin) but it is NOT the version up on p3d's github. All the comms changes have never been published, and new GCodes (G5,G26,G46, G70, G71, G72) appear to be present that are undocumented beyond propellers debug trace when it calls them (G5 in this case is NOT bezier curve, and although G26 is involved in calibration, it does not appear to be the standard G26 Mesh Validation code)

Here are the ones I've seen so far..

Code:
    G5 C1 Q0      Center position
    G5 C3 Q0      Bed Detecting Position
    G5 C4 Q2      Bed Detecting Lifting
    G5 C5 Q0      X Edge Avoid
    G5 C6 Q0      Y Edge Avoid
    G5 C7 Q0      Z Edge Avoid
    G5 C8 Q1      Cleaning Position
    G46 Q1        Cleaning
    G70           "InitialNS"
                  (used just before manual calibration)
    G71 Q0        Move platform up (during manual calibration)
    G72 Q0        Move platform down (during manual calibration)

Also I configured octoprint to use the slicer in the buccaneer_slicer dir (cura engine), and that's slicing so the center of the object is at 0,0 which on this printer is bottom left of the bed, I can't yet figure out how to tell it to place it in the middle of the bed.

I've sliced using cura on a desktop, and loaded the gcode to octoprint and that allows me to place objects in the center, but at the mo it's still trying to print in mid air.. I've collected the gcode preamble from when the buccaneer software does a print, and tried that, but no luck yet.. either I'm missing a step, or I need to tweak octoprints comms handling to wait every now & then.

Anyone still interested in playing with this ? =)

#55 Dragonsquirrel, Aug 24, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2018
    racer and mark tomlinson like this.
  16. Jesstr8803

Jesstr8803 New Member

Hi Dragonsquirrel,

Thank you for sharing all that information. I’m excited to get started on bringing my buccaneer back to life!

I’m basically a newb when it comes to programming, but I’m willing to help the cause. There are so many people that did actually receive a printer, and they have no way of using them.

One significant difference I have noticed with the buccaneers is that some people have received ones with an A20 board and others, like myself have a raspberry pi 1.

I’m willing to do some investigation integration if you can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

17. Dragonsquirrel

Dragonsquirrel New Member

Interesting re Raspberry Pi inside yours! can you take pics?
    I wonder what versions of the binaries / components are in your image =)

To get started, you'll want to ssh into the printer with the wifi password (use userid buccaneer) and have a peek around the buccaneer homedir and see what versions of the various tools are linked as current. (if none of that meant anything, then you'll just want to take some pics =) maybe we can get your pi's sd card image uploaded somewhere so we can dig thru it.)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  18. Jesstr8803

Jesstr8803 New Member

So i was able to SSH into the printer. So far I have found out that it is running Arch Linux Arm.

uname -a returns
    Linux Buccaneer-3ak7k 3.10.27-2-ARCH #1 PREEMPT Tue Jan 21 00:42:16 MST 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux

when I check out the home folder I get,

drwx------ 11 buccaneer buccaneer 4096 Dec 31 17:01 .
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Jan 28 2014 ..
    -rw------- 1 buccaneer buccaneer 9688 Dec 31 17:04 .bash_history
    -rw-r--r-- 1 buccaneer buccaneer 21 Jun 3 2013 .bash_logout
    -rw-r--r-- 1 buccaneer buccaneer 57 Jun 3 2013 .bash_profile
    -rw-r--r-- 1 buccaneer buccaneer 6232 Feb 16 2014 .bashrc
    drwxr-xr-x 3 buccaneer buccaneer 4096 Dec 31 17:21 .cura
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Dec 31 17:18 .firmwareUpdater
    -rw-r--r-- 1 buccaneer buccaneer 64 Feb 18 2014 .gitconfig
    drwxr-xr-x 3 buccaneer buccaneer 4096 Jan 28 2014 .local
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Dec 31 17:01 .propeller
    drwx------ 2 buccaneer buccaneer 4096 Feb 14 2014 .ssh
    drwxr-xr-x 11 buccaneer buccaneer 4096 Dec 31 1969 bin
    drwxr-xr-x 2 buccaneer buccaneer 4096 Dec 31 1969 data
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Dec 31 1969 data-temp
    drwxr-xr-x 2 buccaneer buccaneer 4096 Dec 31 17:08 log

inside the bin file I see
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Dec 31 1969 buccaneer-broadcaster
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Dec 31 1969 buccaneer-driver
    drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Dec 31 17:18 buccaneer-propeller
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Dec 31 17:18 buccaneer-slicer
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Dec 31 17:34 buccaneer-updater
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Dec 31 1969 buccaneer-wifi
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Dec 31 1969 file-flusher
    drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Dec 31 17:18 file-server
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Dec 31 1969 key-derivator

buccaneer-broadcaster shows 1.3
    buccaneer-driver shows 1.3
    buccaneer-propeller shows 1.3,1.4,1.5
    buccaneer-slicer shows 1.3, 1.4
    buccaneer-updater shows 1.7, 1.8
    buccaneer-wifi shows 1.3
    file-flusher shows 1.6
    file-server shows 1.3,1.4,1.5
    key-derivator shows 1.3

Does this forum support code tags? or similar tags?

I also took an image with win32diskimager, I live out in the country and have very shitty internet, but when I go to visit my brother in a couple days I'll leach off his internet and upload it somewhere. The SD card/image is 8gb, what is a good hosting site I can do that at? Or I can use my Dropbox account.

In the meantime I unsuccessfully tried to qemu the image I took, but can find a compatible kernel. I'd have to guess it's because its Archlinux ARM.

Anything else I can look at for you guys in the meantime let me know.

Thanks

19. Jesstr8803

Jesstr8803 New Member

Hey Guys,

Sorry for the hiatus, been really busy with work. I did manage to upload the raspberry pi 1 image to my Dropbox.

I still need another post before I can attach the link.

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

PM me it and I can edit your post or respond to this :)

Geof likes this.