1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Cover for Robo R2

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by spanishcop, Nov 12, 2018.

1. spanishcop

spanishcop Member

So I decided to make a cover for my Robo R2. Yeah I could have just thrown a towel or some kind of a cloth over it, but I wanted something nice and fitting for it. Something to keep dust out yet look presentable, after all family and friends usually want to see what new 3d prints I've created.

So I decided for lid to use thick plexiglass. Make a 3d handle which I found stl on thingiverse and then I made 12 wedge pieces at 28 degrees. These were placed on bottom of cover which help the cover always slide in place to the perfect location and squared properly.

[​IMG]

Also because of the extruder and wires I had to cut a piece out and put a hindge so it can open when I remove it and close when I'm not using printer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This should help keep dust out. Prior to installing wedges...

[​IMG]

I also have some black vynil that is decal so I can put it on top of cover to help blend in with rest of printer and make red handle stick out a little more and hide minor scratches.

[​IMG]

I still need to sand down edges a little more to hide a couple zigzags from where I was cutting plexiglass excess off.

I'll update once black vynil and sanding is complete. I'm also thinking about painting the edge of plexiglass to match the silver trim on side by window.

[​IMG]

Do you have a custom cover or lid? Post a picture of what your using that you have made or customized.

Thanks
    Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1 spanishcop, Nov 12, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    Geof and supercazzola like this.
  2. spanishcop

spanishcop Member

So I ended up doing black on edges. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. It's not perfect but good enough

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike

Geof likes this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

looks good! One note: Should print more ;) Cant collect dust if she's runnin right? :D

all kidding aside, well done !

spanishcop and mark tomlinson like this.
  4. spanishcop

spanishcop Member

Yes, more printing would help lol.

Next project is LEDs stay tuned...
    I'll be using tube like LEDs.

Should be done in next couple days

Geof likes this.
  5. spanishcop

spanishcop Member

6. Simon Cousins

Simon Cousins New Member

Add a sick sub-woofer!

7. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

Great work. I love this. Would you be willing to share the STL file of the wedges that you used? Also, on the back of the printer you have a red block at the filament input sensor. What is the purpose of that?

8. spanishcop

spanishcop Member

I will check to see if I still have the stl files for Ya. The red thing on the back by filament sensor is a filter adapter. You put like sponge material inside the enclosure which snaps onto filament sensor so it cleans and lubricated filament as it is fed into printer. Keeps sensor, tube and rest of components from accumulating dust and dirt.

9. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

I thought that might be a filter adapter. Would love the stl for that as well if you don't mind

10. spanishcop

spanishcop Member

Here is the stl file for the filter. I did not design it but that's the one I used.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2763801

Mike

11. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member