1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partial Answer R1+ Bed Not Heating

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Erin-Ellen Winfree, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Erin-Ellen Winfree

I had a thought. On the old ramps the top two terminals said 11a, while the bottom two said 5a. Since they come from the same power supply, I thought they were the same. The wires I ran to the external MOSFET controller have passthroughs that I ran into the lower two power inputs.

The question being, are all the terminals coming from the power supply the same wattage/amperage? And should the external MOSFET controller be wired through the top two terminals,?

2. Erin-Ellen Winfree

Not sure if I should start a new thread for this, but I seem to have worked out the frying problem and traded it in for another problem.

First, the answer seemed to be the site I went to had the wiring wrong for the external MOSFET controller. I cut out the wire that basically ran back into the RAMPS from the MOSFET and put my original Arduino back in and everything is running and the board didn't melt, so yay!

New problem is that the board will not connect to Octoprint on my Raspberry Pi 3 anymore. I also can not flash Marlin to it, and the computer doesn't even beep when the computer is hooked up.

Did the original burned out RAMPS board kill my first Arduino? This Arduino has never been hooked up to anything else.

Once this problem is sorted I should have everything back to normal and will write up my experience properly.

Thanks guys.

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

It is possible, since the RAMPS powers the Arduino it is near impossible to diagnose remotely. But it might just be Chinese manufacturing, this is why we tell people to buy a cheap kit. I know that @mark tomlinson will tell you he has had a handful of non-working RAMPS boards and they are treated as throw away devices. Now that the wiring is worked out, you need to know you are starting from a good base. Generally if you cannot connect to a PC and get the usual USB connection tone there likely is something wrong with the Arduino, but try several USB cables first to confirm.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Waldo nailed it and those generic/Chinese Arduino clone boards are cheap so at most it is $12-15 to replace it, I would (we keep a spare for all the bits given how cheap they are).

Awesome! Don't let the curve balls slow you down too much :)

5. Erin-Ellen Winfree

I woke up and pulled the ramps off and the computer recognizes the Arduino but I can't flash it. It always fails to upload. Then with it attached to the ramps, I get no connected to PC chime, nor does the LCD light up. I'm thinking new cheap ramps and possibly new Arduino as well. Gonna go ahead and get a multimeter as well. I need one of those at any rate.

6. slider240sx

slider240sx New Member

https://reprap.org/wiki/RAMPS_1.5
    if you upgrade to the 1.5 you reduce the risk of destroying the fuses that are on the 1.4. only reason i suggest it as it seems you have a fairly extensive setup
    https://shop.folgertechnologies.com/products/ramps-1-4-controller-for-3d-printer
    ive been using this for a few months and its completely outperforming the stock robo board
    the layout is the same only the fuses and mosfet are changed(the mosfets lay down on the 1.5 and have their heatsinks on the bottom)

"I woke up and pulled the ramps off and the computer recognizes the Arduino but I can't flash it."
    sounds like either the usb port on the arduino is loose or a bad cable. i had the same problem earlier this year

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sounds like the bootloader is booger-ed
    You can reload that with some extra hardware/adapter board (eg. "the programmer" board), but given the cost of the clone mega I just toss them and use a new one :) *

http://wspublishing.net/avr-c/restoring-arduino-mega-bootloader/

*and I have a programmer board

8. Erin-Ellen Winfree

Just a heads up on my current situation. I was a fool and my original Arduino is fine. I wasn't selecting the port when trying to upload the sketch. I am pretty sure my ramps is defective and I have a new one coming. The Arduino will connect to the computer with no trouble when detached, but when coupled with the ramps board it will not. It seems to shut down my Raspberry Pi based Octopi when connected as well.

Interestingly, at least for me, I was also able to upload the sketch to the Arduino I melted the chip on. Would it be worth replacing that chip to have another spare Arduino?

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Your call. If that chip is all that failed (which is certainly possible) and you want to invest the effort go for it.
    Just bear in mind that you may pay more to do that than a new board will cost :) If you can get that chip in small quantity and low or no shipping it may be worth it.

Erin-Ellen Winfree likes this.
  10. Erin-Ellen Winfree

Gotcha, it would really just be to see if I could do it. Like I said, my original Arduino is fine and I have another spare on the way with a new ramps.

11. Erin-Ellen Winfree

Back again with more woes. I wired up my newest ramps and arduino and got smoke again. I switched it off very quickly but who knows if it was quick enough? I also got a multimeter and I'm getting 26 volts directly off the power supply. I don't know if that is too much, but I thought I read a much smaller number here in the forums. Problem is, I don't know how that would have gotten turned up. I'm the only one who messes with electronic inner parts and I didn't mess with it. Shouldn't it be like 12ish??

12. Erin-Ellen Winfree

Internet to the rescue. I had my endstops wired wrong. I will certainly be writing a part about that in my how to post.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, the R1 has a 12v DC power source so you are not likely to see more than that unless something is seriously awry :)

14. Erin-Ellen Winfree

When I fixed the endstops everything works now. I just need one more Arduino so I have a working voltage regulator. I am pretty sure that voltage screw hasn't been moved. I tried turning it down and it didn't turn easily. Is it possible my power supply has always ran at 26? Could I somehow be getting an errant reading from my multimeter? I think I'm using it right.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you were to go across the terminals right (or WRONG in this case) you might be able to read about 24vdc
    If you are not sure, a picture of the meter doing the reading (one where we can read the other knobs/dials/settings) will clear it up :)

16. Erin-Ellen Winfree

Cool, I'm out buying an Arduino. Will post later.

#36 Erin-Ellen Winfree, Nov 15, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  17. Erin-Ellen Winfree

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

and 24v in an R1+ is not cool.
    Not even a little :)

You will be lucky of the arduino was the only part that got 'sploded.

That power supply linked above is s drop-replacement for the stock one.

20. Erin-Ellen Winfree

No idea why I'm getting 24v? In one of my other threads I mentioned that I replaced a capacitor in the power supply and it is physically larger than the old one, but rated the same for electricity.

I've been running with that capacitor for weeks. Has something gone wrong in the power supply?