1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Supports shredding

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by spanishcop, Nov 17, 2018.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

IN a word?
    No.

However that is certainly not the real culprit here. The tension on the drive gear and the filament would be a problem for pretty much any filament if it were weak (I can't see too strong being an issue).

If you are using Simplify3D there are a lot of settings you can adjust around how the supports are created.

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/articles/adding-and-modifying-support-structures/

More information like that here:

https://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=2446

spanishcop likes this.
  2. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I'd focus on the software side of this until you are certain it is not software

spanishcop likes this.
  3. spanishcop

spanishcop Member

Thanks Mark....

Is there a PDF manual of current S3D version to read on my spare time and learn a little more so I don't bother people so much.

I have found tutorials on things for S3D but didn't know if there was a manual. I check their site with no luck.

Thank you for those links. I will read them now. I'm working a detail right now and have plenty of reading time. So thanks again Mark.

And if there is a manual, please share link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. spanishcop

spanishcop Member

Yes.... I will do that, but I have a feeling this was a temp issue causing clogging and not refeeding pla as temp was not hot enough.

I will update my progress when I switch to making the more difficult model that requires a lot of support to see if problem continues.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No, but all of their docs are online along with a LOT of videos that cover each area.

Plus their approach to printer control is more akin to how our CNC software works and it is different from other slicers in that regard :) SO that can take a little getting adjusted to

#25 mark tomlinson, Nov 19, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  6. spanishcop

spanishcop Member

I'm just puzzled at this point.

So I've been trying to print a figurine that requires support. I've modified supports to settings that should work but I still think it's a heating issue or a problem with nozzle.

So on 3 different occasions I had to pause print because filament wasn't coming out. Once paused I selected load filament and nothing would come out. I had to use quite a bit of force to get pla to start coming out again. Then I hit resune print and we were good for another 15 or 20 mins and it would happen again. It's like if it was getting clogged for some reason. But I don't know how or why.

I'm now at 215 C for pla. Just seems that even though temps are staying hot somehow pla is Cooling off causing it to get clogged and then having to do another filament load and forcing pla until flow starts again.

It's definitely not a software. It's getting clogged to where filament is not feeding through.

Mind you I cleaned nozzle and had it all taken apart and we were off to a good start.

Is there something not working properly? Do I need to replace anything to get pla to come out consistently throughout a print?

I've always printed at 195 for pla before and that doesn't seem to be the case now.

Sure could appreciate a hand in this. I think I have tried it all.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

PLA? Have you tried seasoning the nozzle?

That is my first suggestion anytime flow issues arise with PLA.
    Drove me crazy first time I switched nozzles and went from one that apparently was already seasoned to one that was not.

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

if you cant shove through you may be suffering from heat creep. Is the cold end getting warm/hot to the touch?

Season for sure, if problem is still there and cold end is COLD, then replace the nozzle and see what shakes. If you havent already measure your filament and make sure you arnt doing something crazy like running out of spec filament through :D

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Darn it! I always forget to mention that...

Geof likes this.
  10. spanishcop

spanishcop Member

Yeah nozzle stays hot. And temp stays pretty consistent I monitored that. When I force pla down it starts coming out again.

On one of the cloggings I had to disassemble because I couldn't push filament through nor back it out.

So I did a few tests....
    I did the basic retraction test and it did great. There was no stringing and it managed to print just fine. Just the one where nozzle was moving after fill. But no stringing between poles.

[​IMG]

I then decided to try the Micro all in one 3d test which has numerous shapes and forms and angles.

[​IMG]

All started okay. Infill looked good....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then it happened..... It started printing in the air with no PLA coming out. I could see gear moving filament up and down by filament tube but nothing was feeding... This all happened when it was done with fill and it was time to start making the tests. It happened within 3rd or 4th round of layers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've changed settings to what was recommended several times and it's a constant failure.

Video coming shortly

Replace entire hot end? Any other ideasit could be?

Mike

#30 spanishcop, Nov 20, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Season it as I suggested :)

and @Geof

PLA can drive you batty with this type of behavior and while seasoning "eventually" needs to be redone I just use an oiler for all PLA spools. Constant re-seasoning.
    Do it once and re-run your test and see how it behaves then.

If it helps then consider an oiler

Geof likes this.
  12. spanishcop

spanishcop Member

OK I'm new here and my apologies up front.

Season it?

I have made a filament cleaner but haven't used it yet. Where I can add sponge like to remove dust and such.

[​IMG]

Are you saying to lubricate the pla? Not sure what you mean by seasoning? If that's the case I can add some oil to sponge and reconnect filament to go through this thing I made.

I've never done this before in almost 2 years that I've had it nor heard of it.

Please define seasoning it before I jump the gun here and do something I shouldn't. And if so... What is recommended to use?

Thank you in advance

Mike

#32 spanishcop, Nov 20, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

As the thread mentions any pure vegetable oil is what you need. Some folks prefer specific ones. I have tried them all, they all work (if they are just vegetable oil) and I prefer canola due to the higher smoke point.*

and a little is all you need.

*make no mistake the entire POINT of seasoning is that the oil flashes away and it should not end up on your print unless you use too much.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You are on target there. That is exactly what you need to do. For what it is worth I spent a year to the month without ever needing seasoning, swapped on a new nozzle and ... the rest was history. :) I had until then mostly been printing ABS (but I finally got better).
    It was a horrifying experience to learn about seasoning..

Geof likes this.
  16. spanishcop

spanishcop Member

I went ahead and printed this which luckily didn't fail and added 1 drop on each side of sponge.

[​IMG]

I placed it right before the extruder area and heated it up to 230c and ran enough filament to where it came through nozzle.

I will re-attempt the print now and see what happens. I'll update asap.

[​IMG]

Thanks for your patience in helping me out.

Mike

17. spanishcop

spanishcop Member

Well.... I know it's too early to say and I really think you guys nailedi will say it's a major improvement so far crossing fingers it completes the piece.

I placed old piece and current piece to compare....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll update once finished.

Mike

mark tomlinson likes this.
  18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That is a lot better.

Assuming that sorts it, just remember to add a drop of oil every spool or two (whole spools used).
    Honestly once it gets seasoned it doesn't take a lot to keep it that way. New nozzles will of course need to be seasoned as well (so you might need a fresh drop)

spanishcop likes this.
  19. spanishcop

spanishcop Member

I really can't thank you all enough for suggesting and helping me out. That seemed to have fixed the problem.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It struggled a bit at 70 and 80 degrees but it got though a little rough. But I was impressed to see the bridging it did and that it would stretch that far and pretty much in a straight way.

It's appears it is back to printing the way it use to print when I first got it. I'm so happy that it's working again and it wouldn't have happened without your assistance. Again I can't thank you all enough.

I hope as I gain more knowledge I can share and help others in the near future also and return this favor to others.

Best regards,
    Mike

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Glad you got it going. Trust me, we all started out as novices and needed help :) Most of the ones that helped me when I started have moved on to other things, but that is what makes the community work!

Geof likes this.