1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Is there an diagram on how the R1 extruder is assembled?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by John in MS, Nov 4, 2018.

1. John in MS

John in MS Active Member

I added a new heater wire to my E3DV6. While doing it I took apart the extruder to clean the hobbed bolt and cleaned all the loose shavings. Putting it back together, the stepper extruder is clicking at times. Maybe I have something out of order. Thanks

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Geof likes this.
  3. John in MS

John in MS Active Member

Finally had a chance to work on it again. The above diagram didn't show the R1 extruder. I need to post the order of parts I have on mine. I can loosen the extruder bolt where it is very loose on in a few minutes it is tight. Like the turning of the extruder as I print is tightening itself to a point the extruder stepper starts clicking. I thought it might be the stepper cable and swapped it last night. I Got the same self tightening of the extruder

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Greg's Wade is the extruder used on the R1 Beta, R1, and R1+Plus. there are modifications of the Greg's Wade but they are basically interchangeable. Here is a video describing assembling the original Greg's Wade:

The Greg's Wade Reloaded has herringbone drive gears. They are quieter when run and have less backlash.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You need to assemble the stuff on the hobbed bolt so that it goes (left to right) extruder bracket, washer(s -- you may need more than one), 1st Nut, second Nut. Then tighten the first nut down to where it is NEAR the extruder bracket, but not touching it or only JUST touching the washers and extruder bracket. Hobbed Bolt should still turn easily. Then put second nut AGAINST the first nut and attempt to loosen the first one while you tighten the second one. This will jam them together (hence the name JAM NUT except they just used two identical ones) and you are done.

When done make sure the hobbed bolt still turns easily.

Geof and John in MS like this.
  6. John in MS

John in MS Active Member

Thank you for the video
    I used it to come up with my current configeration. I thought I had something working and came home and found it still stuttering. As you can see I can restart again by hand. I have something similiar in the past. I changed my stepper motor cable last night and got same results. Anything you might see in my video above? Thanks and Happy Turkey Day

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If nothing is mechanically binding it could be the stepper driver not providing enough current to the stepper motor.

You can tune those, but given the effort in that and the cost of a stepper driver card (<$2) I just swap them when in doubt (they come pre-tuned normally).

Geof likes this.
  8. John in MS

John in MS Active Member

[​IMG]
    Is this it? Any special instructions in installing?

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yep, that is it. Only instructions are :
    1) remove all power (including USB cable) from printer
    2) Remove bottom of printer
    3) carefully remove old one (see diagram below for which one does what -- you want "E" motor) and note orientation in the RAMPS (which way the small adjustment screw is facing)
    4) put the new one in and use same orientation, reassemble, power on and off you go.

Robo3D R1 +Plus Ramps Board (labeled).jpg

KSnod likes this.
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

as an FYI if that DOES NOT fix it or make it better then you have a stepper that is losing steps. That can be sorted cheap enough as well, let us know :)