1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partial Answer Layer lines on my prints are not even

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Domenic, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Domenic

Domenic Member

So for a long tome now my layers have been “misaligned” I’m not quite sure how to explain it except layer lines. At first I thought it was z banding, I tested my z rods and one of them was bent, so I replaced them, but I am still getting the same wonky print lines. Does anyone have any ideas.

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It might be loose belts, but it might simply be over-extrusion -- have you calibrated the extruder?

3. Domenic

Domenic Member

I have but not in a while, and is there a way to know how tight the belts should be?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Heh, not really a way to be specific via typing.
    The best way to describe it is imperfect, but if you pluck it like a guitar string it should make a low thrum. Not a thud :)

Geof likes this.
  5. Domenic

Domenic Member

I feel like I have tried everything in the book, extruder calibration, loose belts, and now I am gonna manually change temp and e steps throughout a print. Does anyone have any more ideas?

Attached Files:

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

7. Domenic

Domenic Member

I did notice that my bed wobbles side to side slightly when I try to move it side to side. I guess I’ll attack that next, how should I go about that?

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Exactly which printer are you using here?
    R1 beta? R1? R1+?

The last two are similar, but the first one is totally different with respect to how the bed is assembled

9. Domenic

Domenic Member

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OK, so that has the linear rails under the bed and the bed is attached to them with magnets (the rails have plastic cross-bars that the plate is magnetically attached to). Then the rails pass through two bearing blocks (one on each side for that rail). Inside those are some LM8UU bearings that the rods run inside of.

I would make sure the bed is not loose on the mounts (magnets still holding well) and that the bases the rods run through are not loose/cracked/missing screws to bolt them down to the frame.

Assuming all that is good you may simply have bearings that a going out. They can be replaced if you need (and are not too expensive).
    If you can (with the bed off) wiggle the rods side-to-side (i.e. the bearings are letting them wiggle that way) then you probably need new bearings.

Check it out and see where you think the issue is.

11. Domenic

Domenic Member

Ok thank you so much, I will try this. Do you think I could use the bushing bearing model that I habe seen someone post on another thread?

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If any of the plastic parts are damaged they can be reprinted (if you can't print them yourself one of us can print it for you)

I would not use the bushing, but sure they will work if you would rather go that route. The IGUS teflon/glide bushings that those are modeled on is fine, but I would not used printed ones and the bearings are not expensive. Here is an example: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ED150S4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 that is a set of 12 (you don't need 12) but you can see they are rather inexpensive.

I think some folks on here HAVE used printed ones maybe @WheresWaldo can speak to that or perhaps he remembers who might have done that.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The reason I would not use printed ones is that I am lazy :) and having to take it apart to replace them is a pain. The Igus teflon ones will last well, but nylon would be the closest filament approach and again they are cheap enough so....

14. Domenic

Domenic Member

Ok, makes sense. Quick question, to take them apart do I need to go underneath the printer?

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I am not 100% certain. You may need to use a wrench on the nuts under there. Sorry been a while since I took them off. Let's go with the assumption that you will have to get at some of it from under the bed. You probably have the screws on the top and the nuts underneath.

16. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I have tried the printed bushings and while they work, there is more "stiction" in the bearings than a ball bearing model. it makes it quieter but they wear too fast to be really useful. If you don't want to just replace the ball bearings then an oil impregnated bronze bearing can be used, just note that you will need to print a new holder for them as none are direct replacements for LM8UU bearings Robo and others typically use.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  17. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

To answer the other question, you will need to pull off the bottom of the printer. The nuts used are nylon insert lock nuts and they will just spin if you only try to remove them from the top.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  18. Domenic

Domenic Member

Ok thanks, I’ll order the new bearings today. You said that I need to print a new holder even if they are from amazon?

19. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

No, only if you are using oil impregnated bronze bushings. LM8UU are drop in replacements for the existing bearings, if you are getting some like @mark tomlinson linked to above.

Examine the brackets closely after removal, when I finally replaced my bearings I found 3 of the four pieces (they are all identical) had developed cracks. So I had to print new ones anyway.

20. Domenic

Domenic Member

So I replaced all the bearings except for two on the left Z axis. Still getting the same results.

Anyone know of a good belt tensioner as my old one broke while replacing the bearings. Thx

Attached Files: