1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Bearings Problem

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by trevely, Nov 17, 2018.

1. trevely

trevely New Member

Hi all,

Once again I'm having issues with my Robo R2. Awhile back I was having a problem with prints shifting and it turned out to be one of the bearings was not completed seated and wasn't sure how that happened but was able to reseat it and was printing again. Now I know why it wasn't seated properly, the bearing is broken as the rod isn't centered as you can see in picture. I've been in contact with support and they have sent me some replacement bearings but still haven't showed me how to properly replace this thing. I've taken the gantry apart, removed the screws from the rods but I cannot get this thing replaced? Did I miss something? I hope one of you can help me out with this. If any more information is needed that I didn't provide please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
    Tyrone

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Let me loop in a couple of R2 'guys'

@Geof
    @WheresWaldo

May need more pictures so stand-by with the camera :)

trevely likes this.
  3. trevely

trevely New Member

Standing by

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is going to be a bit of a beast if it is like my C2 since those bearings are (essentially) press-fit into the case.
    When mine arrived a few of them had popped out and had to be put back (and I epoxied them in place) but still going to take a bit o effort to replace them ... just so you know :) I expect Waldo or Geof will chime it in with more relevant suggestions

(it is the weekend and some folks have a 'life' that gets in the way of things. Not me, but 'some people')

trevely likes this.
  5. trevely

trevely New Member

I'm noticing that as I'm trying to get it replaced, like it's press-fit into the case and I think it is. It almost seems like the rod is to long (haha) for the chassis.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Or something is bent/out of alignment with the gantry and the rod now no longer mates into the bearing as it should.
    Mine (C2) took a whack in shipping and arrived with two of those popped out -- I had to refit them and use some epoxy around to make sure they stayed.

trevely likes this.
  7. trevely

trevely New Member

I checked the gantry and the rod to make sure nothing is bent and it all seems fine. If I push on the rod where it's not centered on the bearings it does move and plus pieces of the inside of the bearings have fallen out. Support sent me some new bearings after taking a look at the photos i sent but didn't tell me how to replace it and I'm still in contact with them but nothing as of yet. I've had this printer for about 7 months or so and it came with a bad power supply but that was an easy fix as they sent me a new one but lately it's been nothing but problem after problem.

8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I have never pulled apart my gantry, only removed the top. I am not sure how to replace the bearings without removing the entire upper assembly.

trevely likes this.
  9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Ditto. Havent had any of mine apart that far (yet). Can you share a photo of the back side of that assembly. I'm betting you'll need a skinny punch/brass drift to tap it out of the hole. The same to drive the new one in (find a socket that fits on the OD and tap lightly, you dont want to drive a bearing by the inner diameter)

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

11. trevely

trevely New Member

At the rate I'm going with this lately I'll be able to take it apart and put it back together with my eyes closed. Well that's if I can ever get this fixed.

12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

does seem like a rough go at the moment. attach some pics of that assembly from all sides and we can let you know best way to remove.

13. trevely

trevely New Member

Well I would like to thank everyone for there help and Jason from Robo as I was able to finally get this resolved. As I stated one of the bearings was broken so the rod was not parallel and as you can see in the picture I provided this is what I needed to do but of course it was not that simple as the picture made it out to be. The broken bearing didn't break completely, part of it was left on the rod so the first trick was getting the remaining pieces off without bending the rod. After that was successful, then it was trying to get the new bearing installed and I had to be extra careful because the bearings don't just slide on and off the rod with ease, that would be to simple. So basically I had to place the bearing in the printer hole and gently try and tap the rod through the bearing enough so I would have enough room to get the other bearing on but not hard enough to have the bearing break through the plastic of the printer. Then it was tapping the rod back the other way to get it through the other bearing and thankfully everything was successful with nothing breaking. It was a real pain in the ass but thanks to you guys and support I was able to get it done. I appreciate all the suggestions and advice and I hope none of you EVER have to do this :).

Thanks

Attached Files:

Geof likes this.
  14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I know who to call when I do! Feel free to write up a how to thread (if you took pictures along the way that would be great). Other members could benefit from your struggle :D (ME! LOL)

glad your back in operation!

trevely likes this.
  15. trevely

trevely New Member

I did take pictures and I will gladly do a write up on this in case anyone else feels the need to go through my pain lol... l think it's printing better than it ever has so I do have that going for me :cool:

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Thats fantastic! Thank you

17. sawce_bause

sawce_bause New Member

getting some grinding noises from my Y axis bearings. can someone point me in the right direction for the thread ?

since this whole process sounds like a giant PIA would you guys recommend i change out all the bearings as a precaution to having other bearings going bad?

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

19. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Clean your rods really well, move the gantry around as you do then oil the shafts. I do somewhat heavy oil near the bearing and move the gantry so the oil slips past the rubber seal. Hopefully it’s enough to loosen them up, if not you’ll need to replace

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member