1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Max_X problem

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by PickyBiker, Oct 23, 2018.

1. PickyBiker

PickyBiker Active Member

I have a Robo 3D R1+ with a Triton extruder that limits the x direction to a max of 200 mm. I am trying to print a part that is 190x223 but it is actually printing at only 175x223.

If I make a part that is 190x10, it prints the right size.

Why does the y direction affect the x direction?

PC running Win 10
    MatterControl 1.7
    • Bed size 200 x 254 y
    • Bed center 96 x 127 y
    • The perimeter is 2 mm from the part.

Robo 3D Firmware Configuration.h
    // set the rectangle in which to probe
    #define LEFT_PROBE_BED_POSITION 10
    #define RIGHT_PROBE_BED_POSITION 200
    #define BACK_PROBE_BED_POSITION 230
    #define FRONT_PROBE_BED_POSITION 10

// Travel limits after homing
    #define X_MAX_POS 200
    #define X_MIN_POS 0
    #define Y_MAX_POS 254
    #define Y_MIN_POS 0
    #define Z_MAX_POS 260
    #define Z_MIN_POS 0

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Just to not leave this ignored, I don't use the Titan (and don't know who does)
    Are you certain it is not related?

3. PickyBiker

PickyBiker Active Member

I appreciate the response Mark. The extruder simply squirts the filament through the hotend and i don't think it can possibly affect the x, y, or z axis's. That said, I have been spectacularly wrong in the past and I'm certain I will be again. I will think about it.

BTW: The Titan extruder solved my problem with flexible filament like TPU and NinjaFlex. The path from the hobbed bolt to the hotend is short and lined (guided) all the way through. It makes it easy to use those filaments. I think you could push a rope through it!

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you want PM me the CONFIGURATION.H and I can review it and maybe cough up an idea.
    I don't think the extruder itself is at fault, but if you modified the firmware for it there may be something unexpected happening

5. PickyBiker

PickyBiker Active Member

Here is the Configuration.h file.

Thanks,

Mike

Attached Files:

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

7. PickyBiker

PickyBiker Active Member

I have MatterControl 1.7 running on this computer.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Marlin is the firmware and regardless of which slicer you use, that is the firmware in the printer itself. :)

9. PickyBiker

PickyBiker Active Member

Okay, 3 questions.
    1: how do I discover the Marlin version I have?
    2. where do I get the update?
    3. how do I install it?

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

#10 mark tomlinson, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There are some things you should consider (all covered in that thread IIRC) since 1.1.x of Marlin is different functionally from 1.0.x (not wildly different, but different).

You can move over any customization you already have in CONFIGURATION.H that you are currently using into the new version (1.1.9) of that file. You will want to review the new one for any other changes you may wish to make (there are some new options as well)

#12 mark tomlinson, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  13. PickyBiker

PickyBiker Active Member

Never did this before and it doesn't appear to be straightforward.
    The 1.19 at the first link you provided won't extract so I downloaded bugfix-1.1.x.zip (Patches after 1.1.9) from the Marlin website http://marlinfw.org/meta/download/

You mentioned configuring it. Where is the info for configuring it before I go to the install?

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well you need to go through the CONFIGURATION.H with an eye to your old one and see what you need to move over.
    Other than that you might post any questions in that thread so those folks who use it can see it. I never saw a need to budge off of the 1.0 version of Marlin for the R1 series (but I am using E3D v5 or v6 on all of mine with the stock GregsWade, not Triton).

15. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I just downloaded and tested the .ZIP file in the link @mark tomlinson provided above. I would try it again as it is working. It is already "pre-configured" for the standard R1. It is a non-trivial task to configure Marlin from scratch. If you are on Windows both 7zip and WinRAR will extract the files properly, I am unfamiliar with Mac equivalents.

16. PickyBiker

PickyBiker Active Member

Okay a couple things here.

First, I just realized that the Marlin being referred to is basically the same as the Autolevel I have always used and is not something entirely different. DUH! Now I at least understand what I am dealing with and what needs to be configured.

I would rather use the pre-configured version that Mark posted, but I still can't extract that file. I don't have access to FileDropper so I am selecting the one in about the 4th response in Mark's thread. That is the one that won't extract.

I tried to signup for FileDropper, but the signup page appears to have a problem. I contacted FileDropper about that problem and will try again when I have access.

BTW: Thanks everybody for the help.

17. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

That is the exact file I just downloaded, I don't have FileDropper access either.

There are quite a few changes from 1.0.x that Robo has on their website and 1.1.9 that the community developed. It is a non-trivial update with a lot of moving parts that need configuration. That is why I suggested trying to redownload the file.

Just to be complete, I downloaded this file: http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?attachments/marlin-bugfix-1-1-9-zip.16723/
    Since I have WinRAR installed I double clicked on the downloaded file, which resulted in the following application pop-up
    upload_2018-12-12_10-0-51.png
    Dragged the file to a spot I could open it (desktop is fine) and then navigating within the Marlin-bugfix-1.1.9\Marlin folder and double-clicked on Marlin.ino. I also double-checked the validity of the source files by clicking the VERIFY icon in the Arduino IDE (I am using version 1.8.8) and it compiled correctly.
    upload_2018-12-12_10-6-39.png

mark tomlinson likes this.
  18. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

It is probably easier to "fix" the issue you are having downloading and extracting the file rather than the multitude of options that need to be changed from vanilla Marlin.

19. PickyBiker

PickyBiker Active Member

Success. I still couldn't extract it with the built-in windows extractor so I loaded WinRar and that extracted it just fine. That's a first!!

I will install it sometime today and post the results.

WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
  20. PickyBiker

PickyBiker Active Member

Apologies for this late reply. I got busy with the holidays and then reworked this printer to expand the X-axis. It expanded the X to 12".

So I did install the firmware supplied by the folks here. With a few minor tweaks, it is operating as expected. The problem I originally had is gone. I just finished a 5 mm long by 230 mm wide print and it worked just fine.

Thank you for the help and suggestions.

mark tomlinson likes this.