1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Hardware repair/support for a fee in San Diego

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Eric Viglotti, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Eric Viglotti

Eric Viglotti Member

Hello,

I have just learned from Rob at Robo that they are no longer doing hardware support/repairs for their printers. I find this very concerning and disappointing as I have had countless issues over the years that have required me to bring in my R1+ and R2, especially since I was an early adopter of the R2 and seemed to pay the price in doing so since these early units I am confident were not completely thought out initially. I partially picked Robo for a vendor since I live in San Diego and they are in San Diego. According to Rob:

"Yes that is what it means now for the future for repairing your 3D printer or many computer repair shops may offer 3D repair service, but the repairs are pretty easy to do if you walk through the instructions we can give you. Many 3D printing companies don't have repair departments or have support and many of them you have to put the printer together yourself as well in the industry. "

Sometimes I'm ok with tinkering with these things as a "hobbyist" with their instructions or the incredible help people have given on the forums. But other times I just want to have the things working so I can get on with my life and get back to printing.

So here's my question...Is there anyone who might live in San Diego and is familiar with the R1+ and R2 hardware enough that I could bring them my printer and for a fee, they would do any necessary repairs? Right now I have one issue on my R1+ that may or may not be possible for me to solve myself, so this is partially just a question for future planning.

Rob had no such suggestions, no transition plan and simply suggested I reach out to the forums

Thanks!

2. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

My next 3D printer will not be a Robo. They went from attention to customers to attention to profit. There’s a happy medium that they haven’t discovered. I hope they don’t sink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Sadly, in a way, he is right. There is no real money to be made doing that repair work (not at a consumer acceptable price-point). The proliferation of makerspaces and the like insure there is usually someone around nearby who can help and the RepRap style printers (here I am specifically targeting the R1 series) is so common and parts are so cheap that there is no money to be made in repairs.

@Eric Viglotti If you find yourself unable to get help from anyone, ping one of us (myself or @Geof or @WheresWaldo for sure and likely many others on there) and we can probably work something out if you want to ship the machine for repairs at cost (or folks can help you via the forum if you are able and willing to tackle the labor yourself). Heck if you are near me, bring it over and I'll show you how to fix it (even the newer C2/R2 are not complex machines to fix). I'll go out on a limb and say that there are a lot of others here as well willing to do the same. We have an awesome community :)

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey Eric,
    This is the first I've heard of that regarding Robo support. Sad to hear. Luckily Rob pointed you to the right place. There is a wealth of knowledge here and can walk most through any repairs needed. I'm more than happy to help you out but I live in Illinois not CA. If you need to ship the machines to me to be fixed we can work that out. I dont need anything for my time, the shipping alone will cost you enough.

Whatever you need to get operational. If you fire up a troubleshooting thread for your machines with photos and what your issues are we can certainly sort you out. Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.