1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

When is the dual extruder upgrade kit coming for R2?

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Nick223, Nov 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick223

Nick223 New Member

One of the reasons I bought this printer was the advertised possibility to ugrade it to a dual extruder version. Now I'm realizing that this functionality has been advertised for years but there is still no sign of it coming soon - or did I miss something?

2. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

You and me both.
    Disappointed and let down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

It is easy to say now, and it doesn't help, never buy anything based on promises.

I have been told they have tested various dual extruder solutions. No idea if any of them will every see the light of day.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You can add dual extrusion yourself if you really really want just like I did on the C2 (and there is a thread on that).
    I agree that waiting for a kit is wasted time at this point.

There is a lot more to it than just adding the hardware and I suspect that is what has led to the delays with Robo delivering a kit, but that is merely supposition on my part (I have no inside scoop).

People have also done this on the older R1 series as well, so sure -- sux not having a ready-to-go kit, but if you need it, add it yourself.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

My personal opinion is there won’t be one at this stage in the game. I wouldn’t hold hope for one either. Too many variables for a “edu focused” machine. Doing one as a user is perfectly fine but not all the software is available so likely your screen will not reflect dual or you’ll lose certain functions with no way to correct it IMO.

It’s also my opinion that any two hotend on one carriage is a headache that can’t perform to today’s expectations of 3D Printing so it could be seen as a good thing you didn’t purchase a kit that wouldn’t be great

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Spoken by someone who has used dual extrusion :)
    You get it.

Geof likes this.
  7. Marlin4

Marlin4 New Member

I understand that dual extrusion is not the be all end all, but I bought these R2 printers with the expectation that I would at least be able to do support material through the second hot end. If I had known that dual was never coming to the R2, honestly, I would have bought something else.
    Robo3D even had a sign up list so "you could be notified when the kit was available." Are we going to have a definitive word on this? If it is not coming, are we going to get a rebate of some kind?
    If it is not coming at all, I would like to know, just so I can stop putting money into R2 printers and buy one that has dual extrusion and learn that architecture. That being said, any suggestions on a dual extruder printer that is reliable?
    Thanks

8. supercazzola

I bought my R2 for the same reason. But I believe you and I are just dreaming. While they were beta testing the dual extruder kit, my understanding is the entire thing has now been put on hold indefinitely.

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

You'd have to speak with Robo to get any kind of information of value regarding the dual extrusion for the R2.

Its my opinion if it hasn't come out in the year Robo released the R2, its not coming. I've used an UM3 and a BCN Sigma. I bought and own the sigma. It requires some love to keep running- more than most single extruder machines. Ultimaker 3 is just expensive all around and slow, but if you need dual extrusion that just works look into it.

People also rave about the Prusa Multi Material but in my opinion that kind of system is strictly multicolor. You cant run multi materials unless they require the same bed and extruder temp. Same goes for the promethius system add on and the Mosaic Pallete.

If I were to replace my BCN Sigma (which I will- probably this year) it will be with a maker gear M3 Idex. I love the IDEX system, just BCN isn't as bulletproof as a production enviroment needs- Makergear is.

Dont know that any of that is helpful information or not and its all my opinion so do your own homework for sure.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yep and a fair amount if extra fiddling (not to mention expense) for what you could do with ... paint. :)

I like the Palette (we have the first one) but it is not something to rave about -- printing is rather slow (and they are not cheap)

11. Marlin4

Marlin4 New Member

Yeah, I have looked at the Palette and it seems intriguing, but more than I need right now. I just want to be able to print support material that is easier to remove. A dual extrusion seemed ideal for that.

The Quad Crane seems interesting as well, but I have yet to see any independent reviews of it and I need reliability to produce my stuff.

12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Then I'd steer clear of M3D :D I left them off for a reason ;)

13. Marlin4

Marlin4 New Member

Yeah, I kinda thought that might be the case.

Geof likes this.
  14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Indeed it is :) That is the exact best-case. Sadly for the Robo since they have effectively dropped the kit you would need to do it all yourself (some of which is non-trivial) and I have a thread in the C2 section that details how we did it on the C2.

Geof likes this.
  15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

its my opinion (and thats all it is) that its much less frustrating to buy a machine that is "ready made" dual extrusion than to piece it together yourself. Having support, software updates, etc etc built into the machine is at times...the best thing ever lol. (also can be awful...but thats just dual extrusion :p)

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, that would be ... awesome
    Sometimes we just gotta make that sow's ear into a silk purse 'cuz that's all we have handy :)

Geof likes this.
  17. adikted2astro

adikted2astro Active Member

I have given up on the dual extrusion kit. I highly doubt it will ever come to pass. As a matter of fact, about 13 months ago I talked to Robo and they said they would put me on the list for beta testing. However, I have yet to hear from them :(

I am also fairly angry about the dual extrusion option because this feature was the reason I bought the R2. If they hadn't advertised that, I would've gone with a different printer. I have the Palette+, but I rarely have time to use it. It also really only works as a multi-color option. I've tried several times with Palette+ and multi-material, with no success. However, right now, I'd be happy if I could print a 1 cm cube because my printer is kaput at the moment..............

Pray for my printer everyone................... remote-franklin needs love

18. supercazzola

They were gonna roll out a beta for the dual extruder, but the internal testers found too many problems. Then robo started down a different path due to their investors, and honestly, I think they will not deliver on their promise. Lesson learned. Never buy something on the promise of future capabilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

19. adikted2astro

adikted2astro Active Member

Yes, I know that now. Unfortunately for Robo, the result of them not keeping their promise(s) is that I will never buy another printer from them. Which kind of sucks in a way because I really like my R2. It's given me lots of problems, but I've learned a lot about 3D printers in the process. I'd like to stick with Robo. Unfortunately, that will not be the case.

teachingalex123 and supercazzola like this.
  20. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

My feelings on dual extrusion are that a printer really needs to be designed for it from the beginning or it is just a kludge. With respect to Robo and promises, I have mentioned it before, I am here and still a Robo user because of the community. I am trying to deal with a couple of other printers and the only place for information seems to be Facebook. FB is not a support platform, nor is it a place to actually learn anything. So I am thankful that Robo does have this place and not just a Facebook page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.