1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Community Favorite Marlin 1.1.9 Release for Robo R1+

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Bradf80, Sep 12, 2018.

1. slider240sx

slider240sx New Member

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The arduino mega is 8-bit (it uses the ATMega16U2)

No clue if marlin intends to support 16/32-bit but I imagine they will.

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Yep, Marlinfw.org, I blame not remembering the exact URL for something I forget.

My experience with UBL is based mostly on the R2. Although it is supposed to be the next version of auto-leveling, it will never be non-trivial to set up. My experience was to use the automated mesh generation then tweak about half of the points to get them near perfect. I then saved the points to a G-Code file by copying the coordinates from the OctoPrint terminal to a text file. That way you have a backup that can be run as a print job to restore all the UBL mesh point.

#43 WheresWaldo, Nov 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  4. slider240sx

slider240sx New Member

so basicly it doesnt really use an offset for the entire mesh, instead each point would need to be set with the offset in mind? ive done the mesh generation saved it loaded it etc but nothing i did offset wise would get it off the bed, even a -20 offset(max in the firmware i think).
    i would like to note that i tried all the leveling options in the firmware, even the same type that the factory firmware uses, and it would still ignore the offset. thats why i feel there is something trivial im missing.
    ive came across i believe it was M421? for offsets but i have not tried it yet as i do not yet fully understand its entire syntax or why there would be a need for M851 also
    also i wasnt trying to be rude i just wanted to make sure that was the correct site because its mostly what ive been referencing since i started trying to get the firmware updated

*edit
    i also found a plugin for octopi for handling UBL that i will be trying when i get some extra time this week

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Bear in mind for mesh and 1.1.x the offset away from the bed is POSITIVE where in 1.0.x and ABL it was negative :) (what you used to use in the M565 needed to be negative to be AWAY from the bed)

6. slider240sx

slider240sx New Member

interesting.. couldve sworn i tried positive also.
    the m851 wiki is completely confusing when it comes to that because it even stated negative but i dont think i tried a lot positive offset for glass bed reasons
    "A probe that is triggered by the nozzle itself" i suppose i misunderstood what it meant because all the other values were negative
    ill be tryin that again with a little more aggressive positive offset
    thanks

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I wish Marlin had been more consistent with this. It actually stirred a fair amount of infighting within their dev group with some insisting further away from the bed was a NEGATIVE axis offset and others insisting it was POSITIVE. Since M565 was designed into ABL for a negative offset and that has been deprecated I let you ponder who won that argument :)

I was in the negative Z offset category

8. slider240sx

slider240sx New Member

yea i dont see making a change like that, that late into firmware revisions being that good of an idea

9. slider240sx

slider240sx New Member

tried the 1.1.9 again i have to have a crazy amount of offset like 12mm or so to get it off the bed.
    however i also noticed after a pause it will buzz a bit, not sure if its just one motor or not. but if i pause and try to raise the z it will buzz, go down for what appears to be 5-10mm(into the bed) then reverse and go up
    which i believe the OP and someone else had mentioned

i put the robo firmware back on it and everything seems fine so i dont think i have exactly the same issue with it unleveing the x axis. but i also dont use the robo ramps

#49 slider240sx, Nov 10, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is functionally and electrically identical to a standard RAMPS the only difference is some connectors are in different places and some are omitted.

11. slider240sx

slider240sx New Member

yea but doesnt the factory robo board use 2 steppers for the z and the generic ramps uses 1?

12. Doug Meek

Doug Meek Member

Is the zip of 1.1.9 complete and correct? Also how does one extract the files? I've tried WinRar and Windows builtin extractor but both complain and fail to extract the files. I want to upgrade so that I can install TMC2130 stepper drivers.

And since it already came up, doesn't the Robo use 2 steppers for the Z axis and so when upgrading the drivers is that how people leave the configuration or do people not replace the Z drrvers?

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

14. 3dfun4me

3dfun4me New Member

I am going to wait to hear back from Bradf80 before i upgrade past 1.1.1 mesh.

15. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

1.1.1 had a lot of issues, you may not be aware of or maybe just haven't run into them yet. 1.1.9 is much better and more stable. But it is your call.

Both @mark tomlinson and @Geof will probably tell you, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but I would rather suffer on the bleeding edge.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It's like you read my mind ;)

17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

the edge cuts so deep! I cant take it lol

mark tomlinson likes this.
  18. Bradf80

Bradf80 New Member

Finally had some downtime and I think I've corrected the issue.

I'm still testing, but I know a few people were itching to use this version so I have it; but the site still won't let me upload the file.

Once I figure that out I will post here.

Here is a link for now to a shared one drive folder.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtV8XDDUXJnpjRf8PYh0diQXRKyQ

#58 Bradf80, Dec 22, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    slider240sx likes this.
  19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It needs to be trimmed -- it is a little too big. I'll try in a bit

Bradf80 likes this.
  20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Nope, not letting me do it either, we will just have to use the one drive for now.

Bradf80 likes this.