1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Noobie’s First Post Here!

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by wurdz, Jan 7, 2019.

1. wurdz

wurdz New Member

hello world. Question for the C2: has anyone successfully printed with ABS filament on the C2 without using a heated bed? If so, what was the result like and your experience and was anything special needed (like a particular temperature or specific nozzle size)?

Thank you for the time to read this. Have a great day.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I have not, I don't even use ABS on the R1 series machines we have (because while they have a heated bed they are still open bay). However if you let us know what specs you are looking for from the ABS we may be able to suggest another filament that can be printed on the C2 (there are a lot of filaments out there that beat ABS in every property).

Geof likes this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Ditto. No heat bed, no ABS. The only machines that pull that off have heated chambers (which heats the platform). Many many other materials that will work like @mark tomlinson stated above.

4. wurdz

wurdz New Member

Thank you for responding!

My needs are a material that will work well in a car.

I am fabricating some parts that will face some higher temperatures from a car sitting in the sun. Nothing engine bay related just interior. I was thinking ABS would be appropriate but something else is fine too if it will be better than PLA (which has melted in the sunlight on the dash in the summer).

Geof likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

ProtoPasta makes something call High Temp PLA

Here is the quote:

"HTPLA-CF can be heat treated to give your parts a potential Heat Deflection Temperature in excess of 140 C depending on processing"

That beats ABS (which has a heat deflection of 110c max, some vendors have it with as little as 80c deflection temp) and BluPrint (115c) It is not quite as good as Polycarbonates which can be in excess of 150c, but it is really good. You need to anneal or heat treat the print after you get it done to achieve that:

https://www.matterhackers.com/store...o-pasta-high-temp-carbon-fiber-1.75mm-0.50-kg

and it does not require a heated bed to print.

P.S. not saying buy it from matterhackers, but they have the page with the best breakdown of the properties. You can get the protopasta stuff from many places.

#5 mark tomlinson, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    Geof likes this.
  6. wurdz

wurdz New Member

Mark, that’s a game changer. Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge!

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

8. wurdz

wurdz New Member

What would you recommend for polycarbonate? Possible in the C2 also?

9. wurdz

wurdz New Member

Never mind, I answered my own question here:

matterhackers/articles/how-to-succeed-when-printing-with-polycarbonate-filament

Geof likes this.
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

:) Frankly I would say that it never hurts to test. If you can get filament samples (sometimes folks will provide them free or at least cheap) then test ... You may be surprised what will print without a heated bed. Too much of what we do is based on the "that is the way it was always done" approach and sure -- it works :) You may find that there are other ways to skin a cat. I wouldn't be buying whole spools (unless you get them cheap) just to test, but samples? Heck yes.