1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

What is the best 3D Printer Filament to use?

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by Aplam, Jan 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aplam

Aplam New Member

Hi I am based in the UK working on a budget, just wanted some recommendations for filament to buy to make architectural models from white/black PLA and wood filament?

However, as the last post I found on this subject was a year old I'm happy for this to be a more universal discussion about the best filaments :)

Also, thanks to this sub for the excellent level of discussion and help you guys give each other. Reading around I'm going to get my first 3D printer soon - the wanaho i3 v2.1!

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm not in the UK but wood filaments:

I've used hatchbox, Colorfabb, Form Futura- All work quite well. With filled materials I prefer to get a well known brand with alot of good reviews. Dont forget with filled materials you want at least a .5 nozzle- I print with a .8- to avoid clogging.

White and Black PLA? Pretty much anything. I use the cheapest PLA I can find because....its just pla :D Nothing special and pretty well most manufacturers do a good job of making it.

3. Aplam

Aplam New Member

#3 Aplam, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Geof likes this.
  4. Aplam

Aplam New Member

I've used hatchbox, Colorfabb, Form Futura- All work quite well. With filled materials I prefer to get a well known brand with alot of good reviews. Dont forget with filled materials you want at least a .5 nozzle- I print with a .8- to avoid clogging.yes

WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
  5. Susanne Adam

Susanne Adam New Member

I have an ender 3 printer with it I got filaments like PLA, ABS, and TPU working well and I had a wonderful experience with it.

6. ozzy10

ozzy10 New Member

White and Black PLA: For high-quality white and black PLA filament, you can consider brands such as Hatchbox, eSUN, and Gizmo Dorks. These filaments are known for their consistent diameter, good layer adhesion, and vibrant colors.
    Wood Filament: For wood filament, you can consider brands such as Fillamentum and Fillamentum Woodfill. These filaments are made from a blend of PLA and wood fibers, which gives them a unique texture and a wood-like appearance. If you're looking for a UK based brand, you can look at Filaments.directory, they offer a wide range of filaments including wood-based filaments and have a good reputation. It's also worth noting that the Wanaho i3 V2.1 printer is a good choice for a budget-friendly printer as you can check here , it's a derivative of the Prusa i3, and it's known for its reliability and easy to use features.

7. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

I use a lot of Inland filament. On certain types of filament such as tough PLA, the printing characteristics vary with the color being printed. Sometimes the layer adhesion varies with the temperature, speed, and the color. It doesn't happen often, but it happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.