1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Working around wrong-sized thermistor

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Nevyn522, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Nevyn522

Nevyn522 New Member

I bought a pack of thermistors to replace a bad hot-end thermistor on my Kickstarter Robo3D with stock extruder. The few specific recommendations and part numbers I had found on the forums were unavailable, but I managed to find new HONTECH 100K NTC Thermistors. Only after crimping and confirming the new thermistor was working with the Robo3D did I discover that the new thermistors I had bought were slightly larger in diameter than the stock thermistor -- and more importantly, slightly larger than the hole drilled into the extruder.

Is there any way I can mount the thermistor such that I can still get "close enough" temperature readings? Or do I need to go back to hunting for discontinued parts?

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Easy way, get a role of Kapton tape and tape it to the side. That is the 'old school' way that people did it in the past.
    Harder way, drill the hole a bit bigger, should be fairly easy, the block is aluminum and it is relatively soft.

Nevyn522 and mark tomlinson like this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey some of us still do ;) (depending on the machine lol)

Drills super easy, just be careful depending on where your thermistor hole is located, on newer ones its right next to the heatbreak so you can open up the hole but dont go any deeper

Nevyn522 and mark tomlinson like this.
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I am in the kapton tape camp :)
    Easy to do and a few turns of that around the heater core will keep the thermistor in place enough to do its job and will hurt nothing.
    If you feel comfortable with power tools on the parts :) Sure then reworking the hole is not rocket science, but kapton tape is easy.

5. Nevyn522

Nevyn522 New Member

Funny story! I went ahead and fed the thermistor wire through the cable channel, and taped it to the heater core exactly like what you folks encouraged me to do!

Y'all didn't mention "don't break the wires in your thermistor while installing it". ;)

Thanks for the support; since I bought six of the wrong thermistor, I have backups to try again later. =]

WheresWaldo, mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Well we cant take away all the fun now can we :p ;)

mark tomlinson likes this.