1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Print Bed is Disconnected

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Paul Mundheim, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Paul Mundheim

Paul Mundheim New Member

i am getting this error. I have checked and double checked connections and othing seems to me disconnected.

Anybody else have this issue?

This issue pretty much locks up the whole unit, I can check the network status, but cannot raise the print bed (it is stuck at the bottom of the vertical axis)

We got this around Christmas 2017. There have been no modifications air changes since we got it out of the box, other than moving it from one room to another.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Probably failing pogo pins if it is old enough to have those and you did not get the bed replacement.
    @Geof
    @WheresWaldo

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Agreed, new bed is directly connect6ed to the wiring loom with a socket and plug, no pogo pins.

4. Paul Mundheim

Paul Mundheim New Member

Thank you for the responses.

I have the newer bed. I saw the help,topic on the pogo pins and then spent 20 minutes looking for them before I realized I have the updated one.

Now the socket o have is kinda loose. Is there a way to fix that or is it even an issue?

5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

The socket isn't the tightest connector I have seen, before trying anything with the connector, what temp were you trying to achieve on the print bed?

6. Paul Mundheim

Paul Mundheim New Member

I never got to that point.

This is just when I turned it back on after moving it across the room. It had been turned off for a couple months.

I didn't drop it or jostle it. Just from one table to a bigger table.

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Did you try removing it and then replacing it? Also rebooting the printer, It might be a bad µSD card image too.

Paul Mundheim likes this.
  8. Paul Mundheim

Paul Mundheim New Member

That did it. Removed it blew on it like an old Nintendo cartridge and the restarted no issues.

Ow it has a Connection interrupted Heating Failed/System stopped! Heater ID.0

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Can you post an image of the what the screen is showing (easier for me to recall which ID is which/which error is which).

At a guess a thermistor issue or wiring issue, but dont recall which one is which so cant suggest best troubleshooting.

Paul Mundheim likes this.
  10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I usually get the heater issue if I am trying to get the bed to 85°C or more. It will get to about 75-80°C then the error pops up. With a clean bed I have never needed more than about 80°C for any filament, even ABS.

Paul Mundheim and Geof like this.
  11. Paul Mundheim

Paul Mundheim New Member

Any help would be appreciated. I got a new nozzle because the wires were a bit frayed.

Installed it and still got this issue.

Attached Files:

12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

So I’d start by ensuring the bed is plugged in tight then double check the wiring to the main board is good

13. Paul Mundheim

Paul Mundheim New Member

The plastic female "plug" portion on the bottom of the the printbed has come unattached from the print bed. Is this fatal or can I glue/reattach somehow? I will try to post a pic in the AM

Prior to this the screen said the bed temp was 120 degrees C (it was barely room temp) so I think this is where some of the problem is.

I tried to call customer service, no answer or return call. So you guys are my only hope. Thanks again!

14. Paul Mundheim

Paul Mundheim New Member

Here is the current status of the bottom of the print bed.

How should I reattach? Or is that Even an option at this point.

Also even completely unpluggged, the bed thinks it is 120 C.

Attached Files:

15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok yes that is a broken printbed. The connector would need soldered back on but it appears the legs are broken.

16. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

as for the stuck reading that could be from resistance in the wires/connectors left attached to the controller side. If it were actually open-circuit it would read error or much lower temperature* and if it were shorted an error or much higher temperature.

*Robo uses NTC (negative temperature coefficient) thermistors where they are 100k (roughly) at room temp and the resistance goes DOWN as temperature goes up and the reverse is true (it goes UP as temperature goes down). Potentially it could indicate a damaged controller board or harness running back to the board, but you can only chase** one problem at a time

**OK, you can chase a dozen, but you can only catch one at a time :)

Geof likes this.
  17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Agreed. Fix the obvious (broken bed) then we troubleshoot from there :)

18. Paul1967

Paul1967 Member

I have had 2 heat bed cables go bad on me. The first cable had melted wires just before the base connector. It exposed opened wires on three of the wires. The second was just last week when the heat bed started failing the probing and looking at the connector to the heat bed, the plastic connector has two melted spots on each side of the connector.