1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Unprinted section on prints?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Avrution, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Avrution

Avrution Member

230e/110b / speed is 3600 / no fan for the abs

Used these same settings for a long time, but only recently had these odd issues with the layers in this section

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Then it is not a heated enclosure or you need to raise the chamber temperature.

Honestly? It is easier to use a different material. Other than price there is nothing that makes ABS a win. I can name better filaments for ANY property of ABS you need. Filaments that do not have the issues ABS does. It really requires a heated chamber.

3. Avrution

Avrution Member

Well, the problem is more than the filament. I just printed a calibration cube that I have made over 50 of in the past and it has the same issue at about the same 8-8.5mm spot. Just don't understand as nothing has changed. ABS and PLA all fail in the same area.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You have two problems in this thread.
    The first picture you posted was not the same issue as the second picture.

The first one, while not a close-up to be certain, did not look like de-lamination. The second one absolutely was.
    The only way to move forward is to pick one of the problems and go with that (one at a time).
    If this is happening at the same exact layer height every time then there is something mechanical going wrong. It is not feasible to reason that an electrical issue would surface at the exact same Z height every time. That could only be model or mechanical. If it happens on models you know are sane then that just leaves mechanical.

De-lamination is a different sort of problem to solve since it is not mechanical at all really, I can imagine a circumstance where a mechanical issue that causes less filament to flow or temperatures to fluctuate ONLY at a specific layer could lead to something like this, but I have a hard time wrapping my head around HOW that would be :)

Start with that and look here for things to start testing with: https://www.simplify3d.com/support/print-quality-troubleshooting/#layer-separation-and-splitting

It is remotely possible that the layer height is a red herring so focus on the generic issue first and see if it impacts the problem.
    Try things and post the details with pictures of the results.

P.S. I'd suggest staying with PLA for the troubleshooting if both PLA and ABS exhibit the same symptoms and that removes one major factor from the equation

Geof likes this.
  5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

2nded

6. Avrution

Avrution Member

It happens at the exact height on both ABS and PLA, with all models printed. It is like things stop bonding at that height, which is why it delaminated so much worse on that ABS - especially since I was trying to print 6 at a time. One at a time and it still occurs, but not as bad. I rarely print ABS, but looking back at some PLA I have done over the last few months they have that same issue - most stay together after printing, but some pull apart.

As I mentioned with the cube, it is just a 20x20mm that I have done many, many times and it has the same issue at that specific layer.

Still have to try a new slicer, but I've used Simplify for so long that I have to figure out how to get my settings onto Cura or something else.

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

The exact same height makes me think z stepper drivers or a binding on z. Clean and oil the rods and check the driver voltage

8. Avrution

Avrution Member

I oil the rod quite frequently, but never cleaned it. Is there something special or just wipe it with a cloth? As for the voltage, where do I measure and what numbers are I looking for?

I looked back at the last big thing I printed last August and it has the same banding at that height. Large items tend to stay together, but small items just break apart at that seam.

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I use brake clean on a rag to take off oil and gunk. Just keep it off everything except the rod, it will not be good on ABS parts.

There is a thread on stepper drivers :) read it all as it’s great information

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I wouldn't get too concerned about it. It should be tested at some point, but really it seems less a slicer issue than something else. Same height/layer then it is almost never the slicer and seldom NOT something in the hardware. A belt binding would do it. A drive cog slipping would do it. Sure, usually that is NOT related to height, but it could be. The only other thing I can suggest is to turn down the acceleration and jerk settings. If those are left at the (silly) stock numbers then you can get points in the tool path where they will induce a skip

Geof likes this.
  11. Avrution

Avrution Member

Any recommendation on the speeds? I've never messed with those and just left them at what the defaults are, since most things have always printed fine.

12. Avrution

Avrution Member

I should have some of that in the garage.

I checked the FAQ in the troubleshooting section, but the only thing related to stepper drivers was in regards to the bed. Have a link by chance?

13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hmmm it does seem that sticky thread is no longer a sticky and was so old there’s no way I’ll find it lol. How’s bout a video :)

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

15. Avrution

Avrution Member

So, cleaned the rods and re-lubed. Test cube with PLA and same issue at that exact height.

Haven't messed with the stepper settings yet, but still seems odd it would be related to them when no settings have been changed in over a year and everything above and below about 8.5mm is perfect.

16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@Avrution the only thing I can think of that would cause an issue at the exact same height is a binding in the rod. Does it move up and down freely along that area?

Its possible the stepper driver is weak and for whatever reason at that exact height its skipping a step. Wierder things have happened. Check all the stepper drivers while your in there, will be interesting to see where they are at. One thing off the list at a time until we find the issue :D

mark tomlinson likes this.
  17. Avrution

Avrution Member

Do you mean the vertical rods? Motion seems pretty smooth. Made sure everything was even and used the manual controls to move around.

Since I haven't messed with the firmware in a while I'm thinking of maybe starting over and flashing the latest UBL. Problem is I've forgotten so much since then that it will really be like having a new printer.

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The smooth rods or the threaded rods could be involved in binding. I would tend to lean more towards the threaded rods rather than the smooth ones, but step it up around that height and make sure everything moves smoothly.

19. Avrution

Avrution Member

If the problem occurs around 8.5mm would that still translate to 8.5 on the Z axis or would it be higher?

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Should be 8.5 ... plus MAYBE the slight amount of Z offset you use (usually < 1mm)