1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Question about IR sensor and glue stick

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by adikted2astro, Feb 11, 2019.

1. adikted2astro

adikted2astro Active Member

So has anyone noticed a problem with the IR sensor when they use glue stick on their bed? Because I am definitely having a problem. If I put glue stick on the bed, even a thin coat, the IR sensor trips well before it should. So, every time I enter a G1 Z0 command (after homing), the bed raises like it should, but not as far as it should; adding over 1.5mm to my z-offset. This is annoying because I'm printing NylonX right now and it will not stick to hairspray; only glue stick.

I have a new sensor on the way, but I just wanted to see if anyone else had this problem. BTW, I am using a glass bed on my R2.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

nope, use glue stick all the time on my R2 for Nylon/PC etc without issues. I do not use glass because it alone can mess with the IR and I do not use auto level of any kind so maybe those things are helping me not see the issue.

3. adikted2astro

hmmmmm, ok. Well unfortunately I refuse to give up my glass bed. I've tried all the different bed types: PEI, Garolite, BuildTak. None of them do as well as glass.

May I ask what you do use as your bed? Just aluminum, or BuildTak?

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

standard V2 heatbed with buildtak.

5. adikted2astro

I just got a new IR sensor today, but I haven't installed it yet. Regardless, I do have a workaround for this glue stick problem, although it's not ideal. The way I've been able to make it work is by applying the glue stick everywhere on the bed (that it needs to be), instead of right below the IR sensor. Then, perform G28 to home all axes and start the print. When the extruder moves forward for the priming line, then I apply the glue stick to that section of bare glass. Works perfectly, but is definitely annoying.

The new sensor I got from Robo is similar to the original, but the transmitter(s) and receiver are much smaller.