1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

How fast can we go?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Bd182, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Bd182

Bd182 Member

I print at 60mm/sec. Makerbot runs at 150mm/sec. What happens if I set the R1+ to that speed?

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

You will likely have a mess on your hands. Because of the printer style of the R1 (based on the Mendel 90) you won't get speeds much over 60 mm/s with satisfactory results.

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I can promise you makerbot does not run those speeds in reality. Had a 5th gen I was fixing where that was the claim, but at 40mm/s my Robo out ran it on the same print files. Remember, jerk, accel, speed overrides from slicer etc all slow down whatever you set your speeds to.

I typically suggest as @WheresWaldo did. Not more than 60mm/s. You wont notice much of a time difference at 50mm/s.

At one time I ran all my R1s around 80mm/s but it wasn't pretty doing the repairs all the time and listening to the horrid noises just wasn't worth it

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. Bd182

Bd182 Member

Yeah, I looked up the MakerBot 2 online and it doesn't claim 150mm/sec. I loaded MatterControl with a driver for the MakerBot and it's speeds were similar to the R1. I think my friend must have been looking at his maximum travel speed, not printing speeds.

But, Ultimaker claims 200mm/sec. Do they really such higher print speeds by offloading the weight of the filament feeder to the frame?

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There are a number of ways to get better acceleration and speed without sacrificing stability in a mechanical design such as the printer.
    Less moving parts and/or less moving mass are both valid approaches. A tighter more rigid framework is another (and one reason gantry style printers -- like the R2-- generally are more stable. In the end it is a trade-off like almost everything else in the world :)

6. Bd182

Bd182 Member

I've had my R1 for a month, so I'm green. The feature I most want is more speed. These things are s-l-o-w!

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can by converting to a pure Bowden setup increase the speed and acceleration some (since all of the extruder weight is pushed off somewhere else). But... that is a fair amount of work for what amounts to a less than impressive speed increase :) It matters, but it will not double your print speed (you might achieve a 30%-50% increase if you do it right). There are some projects on here where folks did that if you want to research it.

Really the only way to get a significantly faster printer is to get a different style.

8. Bd182

Bd182 Member

I'm perfectly happy with my R1 for now. But one dreams of another machine down the road. Can an Ultimaker really print at 200mm/sec?

Is an R2 the "different style"? I looked up specs, but it rates speed by volume rather than distance. The spec on my R1 is given as distance, so I can't compare them.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The R2 is A different style (gantry opposed to RepRap/Mendel 90 like the R1)

If you look at how the belts/axis are setup and movement is done you can see that it is a totally different approach to movement (example -- the bed moves up and down -- not back and forth so there is less opportunity for drive lash in that axis and the gantry itself helps to minimize lash as well). The Z (up and down) is always less violent moves than X or Y :)

There are many different styles of FDM printers (deltas/polar coordinate printers are yet another) and quite a few styles of SLA/DLP ones too. With a DLP printer Z is the only motion (and that is still slow) .

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I have quite a few printers - they are all slow :D. Even my Ultimaker. If you have no need for quality put a volcano hotend on it and print huge layers to get fast prints- they will be uglier- but fast. Its all about how you want your set up to be

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

This.
    I have a volcano on one of 0the R1s and print 1.0mm or 1.2mm nozzles ALL THE TIME
    Fast? Heh, smoking fast compared to the 0.4 nozzle. After all -- 3 times as much plastic is getting put down at once.
    And you really don't sacrifice much on larger models (and small ones are faster so why use a volcano?)

Geof likes this.
  12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I finally broke down and have one R1 series running the volcano with a 1.0 nozzle and it makes all my jigs and fixtures. Nice and fast :D ugly if I leave the layer height high (anything over .5 layers and its real ugly) but fast :D Full build volume (about half height) is around 5-8 hours give or take. Nice to have one set up that way for sure.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Something large I don't care about 1mm lines and heck -- half the time will be sanded, primed, painted anyway.

Geof likes this.