1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered firmware error / e3d v6 upgrade

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by astro boy, Feb 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. astro boy

astro boy Member

Hi All,
    I bought a e3d v6 hotend for my Robo r1+ and want to change the firmware according to the forum and e3d site for temperature values. My only problem is when I compile, Arduino comes up with the report (truncated) below. It's just a vague...
    "exit status 1 Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560."
    I tried a few times but get the same result. I have the usb plugged into the printer and unit powered on. I replaced the two sdbase files as was mentioned in an earlier firmware upload thread which got rid of another error.
    anyone have any guidance? I'm using 1.8.8 version of Arduino. Should I use an older version possibly?
    many thanks in advance for any help

best

Arduino: 1.8.8 (Windows Store 1.8.19.0) (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"
    In file included from sketch\Marlin.h:23:0,
    from sketch\Marlin_main.cpp:30:
    sketch\pins.h:2564:0: warning: "X_MAX_PIN" redefined
    #define X_MAX_PIN -1
    ^
    sketch\pins.h:445:0: note: this is the location of the previous definition
    #define X_MAX_PIN 2
    ^
    sketch\pins.h:2565:0: warning: "Y_MAX_PIN" redefined
    #define Y_MAX_PIN -1
    ^
    sketch\pins.h:451:0: note: this is the location of the previous definition
    #define Y_MAX_PIN 15
    ^
    sketch\pins.h:2566:0: warning: "Z_MAX_PIN" redefined
    #define Z_MAX_PIN -1
    ^
    sketch\pins.h:457:0: note: this is the location of the previous definition
    #define Z_MAX_PIN 19
    ^
    sketch\Marlin_main.cpp:2192:36: warning: invalid suffix on literal; C++11 requires a space between literal and string macro [-Wliteral-suffix]

LCD_MESSAGEPGM(MACHINE_NAME" "MSG_OFF".");

^

^
    C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.19.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\libraries\LiquidCrystal\src\LiquidCrystal.cpp: In member function 'pulseEnable':

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.19.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\libraries\LiquidCrystal\src\LiquidCrystal.cpp:310:1: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
    }
    ^
    Please submit a full bug report,

with preprocessed source if appropriate.

See <http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.

lto-wrapper.exe: fatal error: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.19.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-gcc returned 1 exit status

compilation terminated.

c:/program files/windowsapps/arduinollc.arduinoide_1.8.19.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/5.4.0/../../../../avr/bin/ld.exe: error: lto-wrapper failed

collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

exit status 1
    Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560.

This report would have more information with
    "Show verbose output during compilation"
    option enabled in File -> Preferences.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Where did you get the original Marlin firmware, R1 doesn't use any MAX values for limit switches.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Try another version of the Arduino GUI -- your actual error is:

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.19.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\libraries\LiquidCrystal\src\LiquidCrystal.cpp:310:1: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
    }
    ^
    Please submit a full bug report,

with preprocessed source if appropriate.

See <http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.

and that is the arduino UI dying.

I did some Googling for that specific failure and came up empty so rolling back to an older version of the Arduino UI is a good step. You might want to post this as a bug to their forums.

4. astro boy

astro boy Member

Thanks Waldo and Mark, to answer Waldo’s question, I went to the robo help forum where the thread is called updating firmware with Arduino. Somehow I don’t know how to paste a link to it, but it has the original and r1 firmware links.
    There are also some changes to be made before using it.

So your saying I could actually not make any changes to the firmware for the v6 and it would print just fine? Or am I missing something.
    If I do have to revise the firmware I believe Marks suggestion to roll back my arduino version might be the thing to do.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The Max pin messages are all warnings (not errors) and can be ignored.

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Rolling back is not necessary, I can actually compile with the beta version of the Arduino IDE. You did make the changes that renames the fpos variable? @mark tomlinson knows exactly where that file is. Making a change for the E3Dv6 is trivial if you have the correct additions.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Start by using an older (or newer -- @WheresWaldo says the beta works) version of the compiler to eliminate that crash. There is clearly a bug in that version of the compiler and I'd just avoid it for this. If you were in a position to need to use that compiler for daily work -- file a bug :)

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Here this compiles with warnings about a few messages that are not actually used for the Robo, I did not make any changes for the E3Dv6.

Attached Files:

9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Oh I forgot that this version has some Robo added code that was broken and never worked, let me edit that crap out.

Argh, their code additions don't compile anyway, I forgot you can't just rip it out, another long time user and myself found it once, but he is long gone from the community and I forgot how we dumped the additions Robo made. Otherwise it works.

#9 WheresWaldo, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  10. astro boy

astro boy Member

Thanks again guys, your always so helpful and have gotten me out of jams before. I’ll try the code file you sent tonight Waldo. To be clear, I should or shouldn’t change my firmware for the e3dv6 new thermistor and heater? Or make the changes they suggest and upload?

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

You still need to change the thermistor type to 5 and maybe increase the max temp a few lines below that.

12. astro boy

astro boy Member

great, thanks guys! I'm going to try again tonight and I'll post my results. Hopefully everything works out.
    1 other question, for those who have used the v6, do you recommend recommend printing out and using the twin fans for cooling?

Thanks

13. astro boy

astro boy Member

ok well... It compiled with no errors or warnings, I made the changes and uploaded with apparently no issue whatsoever. Yay for our side! I didn't have the time tonight to test everything out. I still have to do the pid autotune. I'm also not fully assembled yet, I wasn't able to print out the extra fan housings or the new quick release for the hotend so i'm going to see if I can get it in there with a shim temporarily to be able to at least print the new hotend release and then print the fan housings.
    My original hotend started leaking and when I cleaned it up I could not get the allen screw for the thermister out of the heat block. That's when I decided to upgrade.

Thanks again guys... I'll let you know the results when I'm back up running.

14. astro boy

astro boy Member

ok... my status is that I've run pid autotune and changed the values in config.h, uploaded and tried to start printing. well my extruder stepper is making this ungodly noise that sounds like it's trying to go forward and reverse all at once. I'm assuming there's a value in the firmware that is not present that was in the firmware the r1 shipped with. So I was wondering if anyone had a printout of the config.h file (assuming that's where the problem lies) that shipped with the r1+ that I could compare to what I'm uploading now? It also doesn't heat up the bed before printing or auto level like it did before, but I assume that is a command I can uncomment out in arduino or send via simplify 3d? I suppose the other option is to obtain the original firmware that these units shipped with and adjust that, but I thought that's what I had in the first place, is there a version with updates that I missed somewhere on the web?

as usual any and all help appreciated is very much appreciated and I thank you all for getting me this far.

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Usually that is because your stepper driver needs tuning, or you need to lower the acceleration numbers for the extruder stepper. Personally I would just tweak the stepper driver, it is easy if you follow this video.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

17. astro boy

astro boy Member

Thanks Mark & Waldo,
    I did some research last night on the forum and came to the same conclusion, that it might be a stepper driver issue as well. I also think there's a possibility I fried the stepper driver as I touched the motor with a 12v fan coupler that sparked and smoked a bit! hopefully that's not the case but I will dig into it tonight when I have a chance. I also saw that in one thread it was mentioned something about a green wire becoming detached easily so I should check that my wiring is still attached and ok. My stepper motor for the extruder I replaced late last year so I think it should be ok. i'll check out the video and file & I'll let you know how it works out, thanks again!

18. astro boy

astro boy Member

Can anyone tell me what their default acceleration settings are? my acceleration says 1300 for all, I assume I'm changing values under movement settings in config.h? is this correct? I tried swapping stepper drivers today and running a manual extrude and still get the same noise/problem. So I assume I need to adjust my stepper driver and or firmware values? I ordered extra stepper drivers just in case. I have extra stepper motors as well but I'm assuming it's more of a firmware problem since I've not really touched anything involving the stepper driver.

thanks again

19. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

In Configuration.h look for the following line
    Code:
    #define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION      {9000,9000,100,10000}
    Change the very last parameter to something lower, please note this is the maximum. The default is in this line.
    Code:
    #define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION          1300
    Because Robo uses such an older version of Marlin, there is only one default for all axes and the extruder.

20. astro boy

astro boy Member

Thanks Waldo,
    Those values are what I have currently, but after some experimenting I have found that I don't need to change anything it seems. I tried swapping steppers... same noise... then I tried a motor and it worked perfectly. tried the original motor again ...it worked perfectly... very strange. bad connection possibly? in any case, seems to be working fine now. I'm going to try and print the dual fan ducts and then run pid again and upload the values. hopefully I won't have to bother you guys for a bit lol. I appreciate all your help. I don't know what I'd do without it. Maybe throw the machine down the stairs? I've been tempted!

One more thing sir... I'm starting to sound like Columbo... I've lost some startup parameters like auto leveling before each print and well the bed doesn't heat up before it starts printing. I assume I can change that by sending the g code for those in simplify and doing an m500 command? or should I find it in config.h and comment out the ability to do those things?
    thanks again
    John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.