1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Help!! giant divot in my bed glass

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by robert albrecht, Feb 20, 2019.

1. robert albrecht

I have a R1+ that I received as a gift for Christmas and I have been loving it. I switched over to PETG the other day and did a print over night. When I removed the print from the bed this morning, a big slice of glass came out also. Now there is a big divot in my glass bed. Does Robo have replacement beds? If not what are my options?

Attached Files:

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

The R1 has been discontinued and Robo doesn't seem to have any parts for it. You have a few options. In order of ease:
    1. Go to your local hardware store and get a piece of picture frame glass that it the size of the bed and use binder clips to hold it in place over the existing glass bed
    2. Get some other bed sticker, like Buildtac or PEI sheets and secure it over the existing glass
    3. Replace the bed with a piece of Aluminum, there are several threads here with users documenting changing out the bed.

3. robert albrecht

Will the big divot in the middle of the glass bed effect the heating??

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Nah, the heater is under the glass, you just want the float glass or sticker @WheresWaldo mentioned above to keep it from getting worse (It will if it gets printed on)

5. robert albrecht

Thanks. Is there a certain thickness I am looking for? I am lucky I actually have a glass place right down the street from where I live...

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

whatever they would recommend I'd suppose. I've had hit or miss luck with the glass place local to me. Finding a piece of glass at lowes that fits seems to work well. (the glass place by me stresses the edges so anything more than 40 c and the glass they cut for me shattered- crazy lol)

I use a sheet of PEI on all mine. You can look at the thread in the mods and upgrades section if your curious about it.

7. robert albrecht

PEI looks pretty interesting. I just place it over my current glass with the divot... interesting... Can it be purchased at a local hardware store? Or more like Amazon.

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I bought mine at the link in the thread (www.printedsolid.com). Thats honestly the only PEI I've used so can recommend another source

9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I use the cheapest picture frame glass I can get. Other than dropping one piece I have never broken or chipped one as a result of the relatively low temperatures used in Bed heating, I think Lowes glass is 0.125" (1/8"). I should mention, Lowes will cut the glass to size, you just pay for the next size up. My local Home Depot no longer cuts glass.

If you go to a glass shop, do not tell them it is for a 3D printer otherwise they might try to sell you another piece of Borosilicate glass (same as the Robo bed). It isn't a matter of if borosilicate will chip, only when it will chip.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  10. robert albrecht

Cool. I am currently printing with PETG with my bed around 70 that shouldn't be to hot correct?

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I have heated plain old float glass to over 100°C to print ABS with no adverse affects.

Geof likes this.
  12. robert albrecht

thanks!!!! When I saw the big ol divot in my glass bed I thought my printer just became a paperweight.

13. robert albrecht

gonna grab a piece of glass on the way home today.. Then printing a benchy

14. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The only reason to use Borosilicate (the glass once known as PYREX) is when you are doing sudden and extreme temperature variations.
    The printer is not.

15. robert albrecht

Wanted to thank everybody for their help. I am back up and running and printing a benchy...

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.