1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Stumped! Extruder Problem

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Randy Merrell, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Randy Merrell

Randy Merrell Member

Old original R1+. This is strange so hang with me. My extruder stopped. So I searched and found troubleshooting tips. Swapped the connection to the X motor on the arduino board. The motor turned! Easy fix. (I have a spare identical arduino) so I swapped the amplifier. Nope it didn't work. So I swapped the whole arduino. Still not working. So I think maybe the LCD controller is not sending the signal. I disconnect the LCD controller and hook up my laptop. Nothing! Any ideas?

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

By arduino do you mean ramps? Pictures of what you swapped ?

3. Randy Merrell

Randy Merrell Member

Yes ramps.

Attached Files:

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd suggest double checking all your connections (both at the motor and at the ramps) its very easy to be off a pin and it wont work. Your trouble shooting is on the nose. You swapped the stepper driver when switching positions worked, still no go, swapped the ramps, still no go. The only things left are the wiring, connections and the arduino (brain board). The last one is a bit far fetched for me but wierder things have happened.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I agree and that is the last one I swap since it is usually the least likely to die, but I have seen some oddities where I was certain it was the RAMPS shield and it really was the Arduino.

Geof likes this.
  6. Randy Merrell

Randy Merrell Member

I think I replaced both the RAMPS and Arduino as they are stacked together. Same condition all other motors (X,Y,Z) work. The extruder motor works when connected to the X amp. I think everything has been proven to work or replaced and still doesn't work. Pretty strange. If I ever figure it out I'll be back.

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

question- when you are testing are you certain you are pre heated ? The extruder motor when plugged into E on the board should not turn if the extruder is not heated.(prevents cold extrusion)

8. Randy Merrell

Randy Merrell Member

Perfect I'll give that a try.

Geof likes this.
  9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

keep us posted!

10. Randy Merrell

Randy Merrell Member

That was it. There was never anything wrong. Just my ignorance. After moving I was just trying to check it out and make sure all the motors worked. All that work, all that trouble shooting, and nothing was really wrong. Thanks to everyone especially Geof for the final answer.

Geof likes this.
  11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I've been down that road as well. Glad your up and rolling!

12. Randy Merrell

Randy Merrell Member

Now my Z stop switch is working opposite of what it should. The Z only moves down when the switch is engaged. Probably something I did while trying to troubleshoot the non-problem.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Geof likes this.
  14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

and if you only have one Z switch then you have a beta (not an R1 or an R1+ at all) and may have loaded the incorrect firmware :)

I have two that started off as betas. Both have autoleveling and two Z switches now. Easy to add.

Geof likes this.
  15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The beta was different in that the single Z switch was "non-inverting" which meant that it only signaled "stop" (Z home) when the switch was "made" where the R1 and R1+ with the two z switches on the crossbar have "inverted" Z logic so that the Z is NOT home if the switches are "made"

Geof likes this.
  16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

and once the Z switch(es) signal Z HOME the printer will no longer let the Z go down because (in theory) it is already as low as it can go (ON THE BED)

Geof likes this.
  17. Randy Merrell

Randy Merrell Member

That sounds like my problem. I was told at the time I was buying a R1+. It was right after the Kickstarter. That explains what happened when I tried to sell it on ebay. Oh well at this point I just want it to work again.
    I'm done for today. I think I'll try to put the original boards back in the next time I have some time to work on it. Thanks again for your help.

Geof likes this.
  18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The boards are the same for all versions of the R1 (well, some minor differences with the R1+ but they are inconsequential).
    This is just a firmware setting -- one line of code to change :)

19. Randy Merrell

Randy Merrell Member

How would I change that line?

20. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Z steps in the firmware are pretty well the only differences between the R1 and R1+. Could you share some photos of your machine when you get a chance? Then we can lay eyes on your switches too