1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Printer Issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by AlienBeans, Feb 14, 2019.

1. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

I did a filament change (PLA) and noticed the new color wasn't extruding (used the wizard on the screen for the change). So, I followed the guide on clearing a clog. I got a good blob (2 actually) of red (previous color). I then went to do a filament load (Brown pla). I did the filament load and all seemed normal. I start the print and it was about 75% across the primer line before any filament was placed on the bed. The print then started and virtually nothing was coming out of the nozzle. I aborted the print and powered down. I removed the extruder tensioner and cleaned the drive gear with a toothbrush to get particles off the gear. I then powered the machine back up and did a filament load (brown PLA again) and It initially pulled the filament for a bit, then the filament stopped moving but the drive gear was still rotating. Nothing ever came out of the extruder this time.

Do I have a clog still (somewhere) or something else? Since the gear was turning on the motor shaft I figured its secured and didn't check the tightness of that. It just doesn't seem to be grabbing the filament (after a certain point), which leads me to think I still have a clog somewhere. But, if that's the case, why did the brown extrude normally the first time after I did the suggested unclog procedure?
    Thoughts?

#1 AlienBeans, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2019
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

Ok. Update. I thought I had the nozzle cleaned up and tried a print. Here's the results I got and I aborted the print at this point. It appears something is stopping the filament from feeding/extruding. Thoughts?
    20190218_165447.jpg 20190218_165456.jpg

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Have you seasoned the extruder ? What temps? Can you feel filament manually ?

5. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

I had used a sponge to put canola oil on about the first foot or so of filament after clearing what I thought was a clogged extruder. The filament extruded fine initially in the loading process but did stop even prior to me clicking next (using wizard) on the screen even though the feed motor was still running. I believe it heats to 215 to do the filament load. 230 for the primer line (that showed up eventually). Haven't tried feeding manually

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Try that. If there is alot of resistance then you know there is still a partial clog somewhere in the hotend.

7. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

How do I do that? I've always only used the wizard to load and unload filament.

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

heat the extruded, push down and hold the lever to the left of the filament hole and push your filament through :)

9. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

Ok. Makes sense. Is this going to tell us anything different that the wizard loading? I mean the wizard loaded and it was clearly extruding since it dropped the primer line and the first layer of the raft. It was after the first raft layer that it stopped extruding. Wouldn't it have not extruded anything at all if there was even a partial clog remaining?

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Possible, but a partial clog will still extrude until the resistance is to much. Give it a shot, wont cost ya anything ;)

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Partial clog is only partial :)
    It merely reduces your effective feedrate, but not to ZERO. A full-on clog, yea ... zero

Geof likes this.
  12. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

Well, after a few months of not having time to look into this, I'm back. I was busy building/using printers that actually work. But I still want to get this solved. Here's what I've done so far. I loosened the screw holding the hotend and removed it, heated extruder to 280 (per robo's support people) and used a thin wire to push through and (what I thought) was removing the partial clog. I reinstalled the hotend and did a filament load, it pushed my hotend out of the housing. Cleared it again (same as above), then it would load the filament at all. Removed it a 3rd time to find something stuck out of reach (AGAIN). This is getting very odd since I know it was clear. Today I removed it again, heated to 280, used the wire to push out everything I could, then a scrap piece of filament pushed through to know it was extruding the proper color. Then I connected to hotend again, and loaded the filament via the wizard on the screen. It loaded beautifully at first, pushed the remaining color out to get to the blue that I loaded, THEN the hotend fell out again. I swear I've tighted this thing, but it keeps falling out.

I've never had this to this before when loading filament. The motor would just keep turning and dropping the filament through the nozzle until I stopped it. It certainly never pushed the hotend out like this. I have tightened this thing at tight as I can turn it. Does this indicate there's still a partial clog in the nozzle? At this point, wouldn't it be an easier thing to just replace the hotend?

Hotend loose.jpg

13. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

well, inserted the hotend back in place and tightend it as best I could. Actually running a print now, so we'll see how it goes. It's been months since I've printed anything on this thing. My other printers just work. Connected the Palette 2 pro to one of those and get really good prints. I'll share if anybody is interested but since they weren't printed with a robo I've hesitated sharing.

14. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

Well, I tried the print and surprise, it failed again. Pics below to see if anybody has any insight as to what the issue is. The primer line appears perfect and it starts fine with the initial layer (it appears) then it goes to crap. Am I still dealing with a clogged/partially clogged nozzle here?
    RoboFail.jpg

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Probably and there may be a reason it is clogging -- perhaps the thermistor or heater core are malfunctioning.

Yes, at this point I would say it is better to swap in a new one.

16. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

Last time I spoke to robo support they said I didn't need a new hot end. I sent them the same pictures I posted here and hopefully they will agree now that I need a new hotend. We'll see what they say.

17. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

Well, as you can see, my last post on this issue was April 27. I have since sent two more emails asking why nobody has gotten back to me and I've heard NOTHING. Absolutely NOTHING in two weeks. I can't believe I paid this much for what I thought was a great printer and can't use it because the people at robo (apparently) don't think I'm important enough to answer. They send me the automated email that they received my message but no answer as to what a possible solution to this problem will be. I'm extremely pissed off at these people. I've told them basically that in the last email I sent. They don't respond to messages left on twitter or facebook. Told them they might as well shut down those platforms since they don't respond to anybody. Now, its trickled over to their email help@robo3d.com. They might as well shut that down too and just close the company if they aren't going to respond to PAYING customers when they have issues. I'm so pissed right now, I'm ready to just get rid of the R2 and get another prusa. At least I know those WORK ( I have 2 of them already).

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sadly this is more about the company being nearly under-water than it is about anything else.

Really there is not more than a few left ATM

Probably the case ... now, if you want help fixing it -- we can probably point out some answers :)
    Sometimes it helps to vent.

None on here (this forum) are more than just other owners like you (we do not get paid by Robo), but we can certainly try to help you get it going.

There is nothing much actually proprietary about their printers... most standard parts will work (or can be made to).

19. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

Mark
    So the company is struggling to survive and hanging on by a thread? I wasn't aware of this. I thought they had a pretty good foundation. Where did you find out this information?

20. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

I would love some help/tips on what to do to fix this thing. I really believe its a clog or partial clog in the nozzle but it starts out extruding normally but then craps out for some reason.