1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Is There A Firmware Upgrade for R1+

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Vandel212, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Vandel212

Vandel212 New Member

Hi, Where can I find out if there is a firmware update for the Robo 3D R1+? I purchased it December 30th of 2016 and have never done a firmware upgrade.

The reason I ask is I changed my hot end to the E3D V6, and the nozzle is not getting as hot as the LCD screen says it's supposed to be (off about 60C according to my infared reader). I read this could be a firmware issue with how the printer reads the thirmister output.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Geof and Avrution like this.
  3. wmlowder

wmlowder New Member

I've been wondering the same!

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

There is no official firmware upgrade from Robo, It is what it is.

Geof likes this.
  5. fredm

fredm Member

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There is nothing to be gained in updating from the version you have to the one you found :)

Seriously. Nothing. As for how -- see the FAQ thread in the troubleshooting forum there is a section in it on how ones goes about it.

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

My message from Feb 4th still stands, all versions of Robo firmware for the R1 series is based on Marlin 1.0.x and is deprecated and buggy. If you must upgrade then your best bet is one of the community based firmwares, both 1.1.9 and 2.0.x are available here.

8. fredm

fredm Member

where would I find marlin 1.1.9. I just did a search and this thread showed up.

9. fredm

fredm Member

there are no Hex files? wouldn't that be easier?

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Not generally available for the R1 series although they might have changed things up for the R2/C2. They are a bit sporadic in posting the firmware. Again, not really an issue for this case since there were never any edits that actually improved or added value for the R1+. Very minor things were tweaked and some of them were actually useless (to be clear: talking about stock firmware here).

I agree with @WheresWaldo but bear in mind that if you do want to go that route you should be familiar with the Arduino IDE :)
    Not rocket science, but you should understand the basics. The community version is released in source form only because there are too many potential minor variations on the R1/R1+ that matter. IIRC some various configuration files were included with the 1.1.9 update the community did so that you would have a head start on getting it set for your version of the printer. (pretty sure there was a configuration for a stock R1+)

#10 mark tomlinson, Feb 25, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    Geof likes this.
  11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member