1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Hey!

Discussion in 'United States of America' started by Wesley Knapp, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Wesley Knapp

Wesley Knapp Active Member

I'm new to this forum and to my Robo R1+. I built several printers back in 2014 -2015 but have been out of the hobby since to pursue other interests. Boy have things changed. I know the R1+ isn't the best, but for the price I paid, it's sure close.

I'm a 59 year old Disabled Veteran, who is determined to not let his brain rot. I'm a former pilot, lifelong maker and electronics hobbyist. After a mishap, my injuries precluded me from ever flying again. I left 15 years of USAF service with a Master's of Computer Science and took up a career in technology at the *perfect* time (1992). By the time the tech bubble burst I had already cashed out and permanently retired.

I love to create projects using Arduino, ESP8266, ESP32, Raspberry Pi, all sorts of sensors, controls, communications, etc etc etc.

I have not spent much time actually creating 3D models but am learning Fusion 360 now.

Oh and I'm a serious coffee addict. I'm also the Roastmaster at my own coffee company - Pink Manor Coffee Roastery in Hannibal, MO.

Peace!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mark tomlinson likes this.
  2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Wesley!

Thank you for your service and welcome !

I’m a big fan of the R1 series machines, add the dual cooling fan mod and print pla beautifully.

As far as upgrades if that’s your thing, all my R1s get an lcd, e3dv6, dual cooling and then I pretty much just let them eat filament. Another one gets a bit of everything from a Prometheus system to it currently lives as a single fan, titan/v6 volcano combo :). Lots of fun to be had with these machines !

Look forward to seeing you around the forum and hope to see some of those projects !

Wesley Knapp likes this.
  3. Wesley Knapp

Wesley Knapp Active Member

Thanks!

Mods already in place.

1: Octopi
    2: Dual mag-lev filament cooling fans
    3: Dual mag-lev fans on the cooling fins of the hot end.
    4: Mag-lev fan in the PS
    5: 2 mag-levs cooling the Ramps
    6: LCD controller. I haven't used it yet except to accidentally hit the E-stop on hour 12 of a 14.5 hour print. Grrrr. That little problem has been resolved.

Printed filament reel holder, filament cleaner/oiler, extruder wire wrap bundle clamp, added a camera.

Next improvements/add-ons will be a tool tray and some sorely needed LED lighting.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Geof likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

5. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

Welcome! Post some photos of your system when you have time.