1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved I think my circuit card (ramps?) is over heating...Just want to confirm.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by robert albrecht, Feb 28, 2019.

1. robert albrecht

Ok now this is a little bit more serious. I am still getting the temp fall error. But tonight when I came out. My printer was stalled the lights were out and the motors sounded like they were grinding.. I did some searching here and it looks like my RAMPS (is that correct) could be over heating..I actually found a 120mm 12 v DC fan. If I can clean up the cable management. I may use that.. in the under carriage.

#1 robert albrecht, Feb 28, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Yea I'd start with making sure the small fan is blowing on your ramps board. If its weak or dead it wont cool the ramps enough and cause wierd issues. You can easily swap that fan out and see if the problem goes away.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

@Geof is right
    Also, while that error could be caused by the RAMPS it is ultimately a problem with temperature readings (which go through the RAMPS). Generally it is caused by the thermistor itself or the wiring/connectors.

The grinding noises those... that usually comes from the steppers when they are not getting enough driver current and that usually IS the RAMPS (or the little stepper driver cards on the RAMPS). Grab the low-hanging fruit first :)

I'd go for it in this order:
    1) RAMPS cooling fan (fix it ore replace it)
    2) Stepper drivers (swap for new ones)
    3) RAMPS (swap for a new one)

Fan is cheap, stepper drivers are cheap (heck even the RAMPS is cheap BUT -- if you get to the point of replacing electronics, get yourself one of the all-in-one kits from Amazon as they are cheaper and better quality parts)

4. robert albrecht

I figured out what what was going on( I think) when I hooked up my USB cable for my Raspberry Pie. I had to move the Ramps board down a few inches.. so because of this. The cooling fan in the under carriage was not over the board. I have since relocated the fan and drilled out the vent space. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.