1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo R2 not printing PETG

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by PineStudios, Mar 5, 2019.

1. PineStudios

PineStudios New Member

Hello everyone it's me again
    When I started printing an AmazonBasics PETG filament the printer made a wool thing and a big blob of filament on the middle. I set the temperature for the bed and the nozzle to recommended temperature (below) and just left it there for a while and I see things when I came back, I made sure it isn't the printer's fault by printing PLA and it worked flawlessly, so any suggestions for printing PETG?

Filament Suggested temperatures: 280*C - 290*C
    Set temperature for nozzle: 285*C
    Suggested print bed temperature: 80*C
    Set Print Bed Temperature: 80*C

Thank you very much.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

That is probably too hot for PETG, I usually print PETG at around 240°C

Also you are probably over-extruding at that temperature. Most settings cannot be taken in isolation. they affect one another, try the temp lower first then report back.

Also take a look at these web pages, although it is from another slicer their recommendations are pretty universal, https://www.simplify3d.com/support/print-quality-troubleshooting/

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

HOLY! lol I print amazon PETG around 235 on the hotend. I think they mislabeled your roll. Overheating the filament will cause alot of what your describing. Try dropping temp and trying again like @WheresWaldo suggested above. (bed temp is likely ok)

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

5. PineStudios

PineStudios New Member

Hmm interesting... One time I tried to print PETG it doesn't even extrude through the nozzle
    I will try printing it at a lower temperature in the afternoon.

6. PineStudios

PineStudios New Member

Well one other problem.
    I set my tempture to 235*C and it have somekind of issue where the filament would just go on the nozzle and not on the bed.
    where it did do the first part (where it just draw a line) it didin't sucessfully get the main part and everything got stuck on the nozzle

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

So go to the top end of the band (250C) . There is no certainty that the reading on the nozzle temperature is accurate (thermistors when working correctly are pretty decent -- within 1%). PETG is one of the more sticky and stringy filaments when you actually print it :) Not saying it is bad, but that is a feature of how it prints.

8. PineStudios

PineStudios New Member

Well I increased my bed temperature by 2*C and it worked! I guess is that the bed needed to be above than the manufacturer's suggestion a bit.

Geof likes this.