1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Current consensus on software for the R1+?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by SoLongSidekick, Mar 25, 2019.

1. SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick Active Member

So I'm just now getting my machine up and running again and was curious what the community consensus was regarding slicing and control software. If I remember correctly, back in the day it was Repetier and Slic3r. Is that still the combo of choice? That was back before the + was a thing though so I'm probably out of date.

I do have an OG Astrobox that I got years ago (right when they came out) as part of another KS pledge and never used. What experience do people have using Raspberry Pi-based controllers? I could always just flash Octoprint or whatever else I wanted onto the hardware, so what would people recommend if I hooked the Astrobox up to the R1+? I have experience using OP with the C2, so maybe that would be the best way to go since I know the interface.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I prefer OctoPrint to AstroPrint, but that is just opinion. They are both similar and I imagine there are some +/- to either :)
    I haven't looked at AstroPrint in a while so it is possible that it got better.

For free slicers -- can't say. Haven't used any of them in a bit, but repetier was always a decent one.

3. SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick Active Member

So I just found out that Astroprint is based off of Octoprint. I wonder if they keep incorporating OP features as they come out. I guess I'll give Astroprint a try since I have it already set up and since I've never used it. Then I'll be able to form a more educated opinion on which fits my needs better,

mark tomlinson likes this.